Hyperspin as a Front End

Discuss existing features and requests for new features using [REQUEST] in the title
Forum rules
Discussions only around the RetroX application. Links to ROMs or request for them are forbidden. Insisting users will be banned
jemelvyn

Hyperspin as a Front End

Postby jemelvyn » Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:15 pm

Is it possible we could benefit from the great no fuss emulation of Retrox but somehow use Hyperspin as the front end? This would be on the nvidia shield.
Chudz

Re: Hyperspin as a Front End

Postby Chudz » Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:23 pm

RetroX is a frontend already lol it uses RetroArch and stuff for emulation. You want a frontend for your frontend :)
supermattkelly

Postby supermattkelly » Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:13 pm

What aspects of HyperSpin would you want to incorporate into RetroX?
robj80

Postby robj80 » Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:49 pm

I'm assuming he is looking for a flashier interface than the boring all black retrox design. I love retrtox but it is not a very pretty app. I myself wouldn't mind some more WOW factor on the menu and game selection screens. Though hyperspin seems to be a big much for my taste by looking at the videos.
supermattkelly

Postby supermattkelly » Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:55 pm

Agreed, HyperSpin is a bit intense. The only feature I could see being useful in RetroX would be video previews (bring your own files!).
robj80

Postby robj80 » Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:07 pm

video previews are nice but I think it would hurt performance a bit. Especially for older devices. Bringing your own would be good but then your using alot of storage just for previews.

For me a simple background that is preselected (image of the system your using is my choice) with the option to change it would be all I need. An easier way to switch between systems would be nice as well with full color icons. Even if we can't get all that then take the Nvidia Shield OREO approach. The background fades to different colors depending on what is selected on screen. For example if you are on a sonic title and the image of sonic jpg is mostly blue the background fades to a bluish color. Then say you move over to Altered Beast where he jpg is mostly brown/orange the background fades to that color. Just something to break up all the black.

Honestly I don't think we are going to get anything flashy with retrox. It seems the app has been slow to evolve as of late. And from what I have seen, the dev when updating is more into making sure things work properly more than look pretty. Which I guess is the best approach for the end user.
fcatrin
Site Admin

Postby fcatrin » Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:42 pm

There is a planned themeing system that will help RetroX look more "emulationstation" style. Users will be able to select which is best for them.
Franco Catrin
RetroX developer
thecsource

Postby thecsource » Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:48 am

How about the new Nvidia shield Oreo launcher theme? Lots of possibilities and easier to navigate on a TV.

Saw a cool mockup on this site that might help.

Android-TV-Launcher-Mockup-01.png
Android-TV-Launcher-Mockup-01.png (77.41 KiB) Viewed 7730 times

Here's the source:
https://blog.mready.net/2018/05/android ... -free-psd/

Return to “Features”