Vote for the next emulator

Discuss existing features and requests for new features using [REQUEST] in the title
Forum rules
Discussions only around the RetroX application. Links to ROMs or request for them are forbidden. Insisting users will be banned

Which emulator would you like to see added next?

3DO
4%
Commodore C64
13%
Sega Saturn
21%
ZX Spectrum
9%
GameCube
39%
Atari ST
6%
Amiga CD32
5%
The emulator that is inside this box
4%

Total votes: 223
avalanche

Re: Vote for the next emulator

Postby avalanche » Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:45 am

jwilson56 wrote:I tried a couple GC games with what is claimed as the fasted GC emulator on my Zenpad 10 3S which is not as fast as a Shield but non the less it is one of the faster tablets. I have to say the results were not favorable. So I would have to say that most people who own anything less than a Shield are going to be disappointed. Heck even my Windows 7 game machine struggles with GC titles.

I did however test the Amiga CD32 with UAE4arm and it ran pretty smooth. Jaguar was not good. Saturn is pretty choppy.

So I would say unless he can find a GC emulator that actual runs stuff well there is no point in incorporating it into RetroX.

Just my two cents

Which GC games did you test?
jwilson56

Postby jwilson56 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:44 pm

Quite a few like Ikaruga, Space Raiders, Viewtiful Joe, Viewtiful Joe 2, Star Fox: Assault, and for kicks Star Wars Rouge Squadron II

None were acceptable even with suggested tweaks from Youtube videos.
steviebwoy

Postby steviebwoy » Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:40 am

Hi, haven't been on for a long time as I've kinda lost interest in my Shield a bit to be honest, but it would be amazing to see an emulator that works as well as the one that was leaked with the Chinese Twilight Princess release. Do you think this is likely?
methanoid

Postby methanoid » Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:07 pm

Well it's 2019 now and the ST isn't here yet? Roadmap says 2018 http://www.retrox.tv/roadmap/ :(

The 1st post to this thread says "Here is the list for 2017". Which ones actually made it to current RetroX?

I've watched videos and RetroX looks like a good product and when I have a five day slot free I will try it before buying but for me (and my Shield) I really want to see Atari ST, Gamecube & C64.

I appreciate it is largely a one man show but maybe update the Blog with what is NOW the plan? ;)
Ratbag

Postby Ratbag » Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:00 am

Did the ST actually have any decent games that weren't better on the Amiga?
methanoid

Postby methanoid » Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:59 am

Ratbag wrote:Did the ST actually have any decent games that weren't better on the Amiga?

Let's not go there.. :lol: :lol: But there are a number of ST games that didn't get to the Amiga and ST demos etc... and compact menus etc
Ratbag

Postby Ratbag » Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:21 pm

It'd be nice to have all those systems emulated, but in terms of priority the ST surely can't be top of the pile. I'd prefer the c64 (assuming some sort of decent keyboard emulation is viable). Problem with GameCube, Wii and jaguar (which is already included, and crap) is that even the likes of the shield doesn't have enough power for them.
Chrysro

Postby Chrysro » Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:16 pm

I say again... Naomi and atomiswave support.
Ratbag

Postby Ratbag » Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:34 pm

Yeah I'd have Naomi ahead the GameCube! I've run GameCube games thru dolphin and they're not exactly smooth on shield TV.
Kisame83

Postby Kisame83 » Sun Apr 21, 2019 4:01 pm

I feel I should speak up in favor of GameCube. It was a favorite in the poll but is taking a thrashing in the forum feedback here. Your mileage will of course vary with your hardware. I test on a Note 8 (with Gamevice), Note 9 (my primary phone), and GPD XD Plus.

This morning I fired up a few games on the N9.
Tales of Symphonia- sole transition hiccups aside, runs beautifully
Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes- same as above.
Harvest Moon: A Wonderful Life- seems to run OK. Didn't delve too deep here.
Viewtfiul Joe- runs well, some frame rate drops here and there. The intro when the game first boots is bugged. Overall performance reminds me of playing Conker on Mupen64. Broken intro, very playable but not perfect game experience.
Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance- the opening story segment and cutscene played perfect. I have to go back and get into the actual game (don't shoote, its Easter, I'm trying haha).
Yu-Gi-Oh! The Falsebound Kingdom- as far as i can tell, just this side of perfect.

This is with no tweaking to settings on my end. It's about comparable to, say, playing PSP on my Note 8 was.

I haven't tested on my GPD yet, but I've seen videos of people with some tweaks running Wind Waker, Mario Sunshine, and Resident Evil well.

I know if you're on an older dedicated device and not looking to upgrade, this may seem unappealing. So I'm just voicing the perspective of people with recent hardware or who are likely to upgrade this year- this is far from the broken, unplayable hellscape the other comments are painting the picture of.

Also, to play Devils Advocate to the comment about marketing. I'm pushing 40, so not a young gamer. But I'm not sure the benefit we gain in visibility of the project pushing out C64 in 2019 INSTEAD of something that can run Twilight Princess and Metal Gear. Here's a link showing on newer hardware, Twilight Princess looks pretty darn good.

https://youtu.be/-rEv47UaDIE

Return to “Features”