Request: More versatile cloud save state

Discuss existing features and requests for new features using [REQUEST] in the title
Forum rules
Discussions only around the RetroX application. Links to ROMs or request for them are forbidden. Insisting users will be banned
Spacelime

Request: More versatile cloud save state

Postby Spacelime » Sun Dec 16, 2018 1:07 am

Hi,

First of all thank you for a fantastic app. Very ambitious project and I love the coherent nice retro vibe you've been able to create.

I have a request that I think quite a few people would also appreciate. I read somewhere else on the forum that the reason you chose not to support a 3rd party cloud service like Dropbox or Google Drive is that it's not fully reliable in case they would change policy about what content is allowed and so forth. I can also fully understand if you want to prevent piracy of your app by requiring access to your own cloud service.

However there is one problem. In my case I have a huge collection of games on my Windows system at home on which I run a Hyperspin setup. Retro X is a perfect complement for that for when I'm on the road. But the one big issue is that there is no painless way of sharing the save states so that I can continually play a game both at home and away. If for example I would be able to save and load my states directly to Dropbox both from the Hyperspin and the Retro X setup then this issue would be solved.

So again, I understand if Dropbox/Drive support is not something you would like to implement for the above reasons. But I do have a suggestion to solve this problem. If you were to add a way to mount the Retro X cloud folder as a network drive in Windows, then we could simply choose that folder to directly save and load states from Hyperspin and we would have the best of both worlds.

Would this be a possibility you think?

Cheers,
Olof
fcatrin
Site Admin

Re: Request: More versatile cloud save state

Postby fcatrin » Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:37 am

Sounds interesting!!

May be I could write a small app that syncs a folder in your computer with the RetroX storage... and that may be an easy way to transfer other files between any computer and your RetroX account (music? themes? "some" roms?)

Does that make sense or I'm just too tired?
Franco Catrin
RetroX developer
Spacelime

Postby Spacelime » Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:30 am

fcatrin wrote:Sounds interesting!!

May be I could write a small app that syncs a folder in your computer with the RetroX storage... and that may be an easy way to transfer other files between any computer and your RetroX account (music? themes? "some" roms?)

Does that make sense or I'm just too tired?

Yes something like that would have been absolutely fantastic :-)

Thank you for the quick reply!

Cheers,
Olof
fcatrin
Site Admin

Postby fcatrin » Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:45 am

Now I can't promise, but I'll give lot of thought to that idea
Franco Catrin
RetroX developer

Return to “Features”