Configure gamepad/player association per game (possibly by platform).

Discuss existing features and requests for new features using [REQUEST] in the title
Forum rules
Discussions only around the RetroX application. Links to ROMs or request for them are forbidden. Insisting users will be banned
cryptic_crusader

Configure gamepad/player association per game (possibly by platform).

Postby cryptic_crusader » Mon Mar 04, 2019 4:43 pm

I have two different 8bitdo controllers (SNES & Genesis) and I'd like to easily assign these devices per player, per game.

The default settings should should still map to the root settings.

A. SNES controller assigned to player 1.
B. Genesis controller assigned to player 2.

Select Genesis game > forced to use SNES controller.

Please add an option to swap/assign the association in game specific settings prior to boot. I don't expect anyone to have to keep going back to the root settings and do it there since that area should be treated as a configuration setup.

Unless I am missing something where you can actually pair the controller to be player 1, 2 etc. then I am all set, but this wouldn't help when the controller is still configured to be player 1, 2 etc.
fcatrin
Site Admin

Re: Configure gamepad/player association per game (possibly by platform).

Postby fcatrin » Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:59 pm

I've been thinking in a totally different approach.

I think I will remove the numbered gamepad settings. Once you map a gamepad that mapping is stored as a global map regardless the player. Then when you start the game with a gamepad that is considered to be Player 1's gamepad and it is mapped as the known mapping directs RetroX to do it. Then if someone press a button in another gamepad, that's Player 2 and the mapping is applied.

That would allow any combination of gamepads to be used in any order.

Note that a lot of people have talked to me about it, so it's not my original idea,
Franco Catrin
RetroX developer
cryptic_crusader

Re: Configure gamepad/player association per game (possibly by platform).

Postby cryptic_crusader » Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:49 pm

I think I will buy into this approach. Thanks. Let me know if you want me to beta test this.

Return to “Features”