Running RetroX without active connection

Discuss existing features and requests for new features using [REQUEST] in the title
Forum rules
Discussions only around the RetroX application. Links to ROMs or request for them are forbidden. Insisting users will be banned
banditdude

Re: Running RetroX without active connection

Postby banditdude » Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:46 pm

Yeah, think everyone has moved on. Personally I found it annoying to not be able to change anything about which emulators are used and modify controls. The online requirement was just the constant reminder to find something else to use. I found a much more functional frontend called DIG that is free, it provides the same type of hassle free setup as retrox but launches the game using whatever emulator you want. For my shield tv I am now using a custom Hyperspin setup that uses the same emulators that are on my phone so I can sync my save files across devices. I really wish I can get a refund for this product, it was a disappointment that I had to constantly go online to use something that doesn't need to be online.
Lamaman1971`

Postby Lamaman1971` » Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:22 pm

Looks good - I might check it out. The whole online play thing is a real pain for me as I travel quite a bit and would like to use it where I cant get an active connection - as would my kids. Wrangling through various android emulators with the kiddo's as an alternate to RetroX can be a pain. Shame we havent seen an update on this though, as I still really like RetroX.
robj80

Postby robj80 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:10 pm

fcatrin wrote:Development hasn't ended at all. On the contrary, now there is more pushing forwards.
I wrote the announcement about PRG in the related Facebook groups, and I'll add some info in this forum... once I ended answering all the pending posts.

this was two months ago. I really thought something was coming soon when I read this. Hopefully things are still in the works. I use retrox as is almost daily. I still want saturn and gamecube to be included as well as maybe a little lipstick on the UI.

I'm wondering if the PRG deal even is still going on. There is no mention of the PRG app anywhere online anymore. Maybe it fell through.
Fredoias

Postby Fredoias » Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:39 am

I had hoped as well. But I have been waiting for offline mode for over a year now. It looks like it is never going to happen. I asked about the update pretty often for a while but I kept getting told that I was expecting too much. I will continue to check in from time to time.

At this time I find it easier to keep my expectations low.
Fredoias

Postby Fredoias » Fri Jan 04, 2019 6:17 am

Yep, nothing new concerning the offline mode. Maybe one day.
Lamaman1971`

Postby Lamaman1971` » Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:56 pm

This is still the largest thread with the most views. You might think that would be indicative of the eagerness to get this feature baked into the product.....apparently not.
Fredoias

Postby Fredoias » Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:16 am

At this point in time, I don't think Franco has any intention of adding an offline mode. He was within a week or two of having it ready over a year ago. (At least he said that he was.) :roll:

I am OK if it doesn't perform certain functions when it is offline. Cloud saves, adding new games, updating screen shots. Just let me play a game for crying out loud.

Even my PS4 and Xbox one, let me play games offline.

Maybe one day, but just don't hold your breath.

We are just corner cases even if we paid like everyone else.

Maybe 2019 will be the year.
KingPepper50

Postby KingPepper50 » Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:59 am

Hi Everyone,

Sadly its a case of being 100% sure that the App is unhackable, and that will never be the case,in my opinion, that is, NOT Franco's as there are far too many clever hackers out there in the world, who will take the online check out completely, and release it online, for everyone to use for free. and that's why he's not releasing the App yet, and i doubt it ever will be guys.
As i think, it would take a talented hacker no more than a week tops, to crack, then he would lose his income, basically his job.
And so would obviously stop coding this fine piece of software for us to enjoy. (No more updates) - What would you do guys? Exactly - The same thing.
Last edited by KingPepper50 on Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
banditdude

Postby banditdude » Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:31 am

So instead he is steadily gaining income from people like me who mistakenly purchase this software without knowing it's online only. :? Wither way you want to try and paint this, it's a shitty decision
fcatrin
Site Admin

Postby fcatrin » Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:19 pm

Mistakenly?

* It's stated in the front page at http://retrox.tv
* At boot time you can see how the app downloads data
* When you browse the games, covers are downloaded
* When you open a game, screenshots and configs for that game are downloaded
* Each time you run a game, you can see the emulator being downloaded
* Each time you run a game, you can see additional data is downloaded for some games.
* Cloud saves needs to upload and download files

There is also a 5 days trial to test the app.
How one can mistakely purchase it and not realizing the app uses internet to work?
Franco Catrin
RetroX developer

Return to “Features”