Running RetroX without active connection

Discuss existing features and requests for new features using [REQUEST] in the title
Forum rules
Discussions only around the RetroX application. Links to ROMs or request for them are forbidden. Insisting users will be banned
steviebwoy

Re: Running RetroX without active connection

Postby steviebwoy » Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:16 pm

doriann wrote:My suggestion would be to have 2 types of licenses, the standard that costs $ 12.99 for up to 4 devices, and the license for offline use that could cost around $ 5.99. The license for offline use would be indiviual or it could only activate a single device. At the time of activation it would require connection of course. If in the future the person wants to update the application, it would also have to connect on the internet. Another suggestion is to add paypal as a form of payment.

This is a great idea! I would happily pay for offline use, even if it was in additional to the standard license. I don't often use my Shield in an offline environment, but it would be great to have the option. Also (dare I say it), it would mean that once we have bought the software it will just work, regardless of any need to connect to a server elsewhere.
fcatrin
Site Admin

Postby fcatrin » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:04 pm

The way it will work is already decided and implemented in the app. It only needs more testing from my part.
As I wrote in another post, the code is already merged with the themeing code, so it will be a simultaneous release.

Offline will allow an user to use the app for some days, but they will have to connect the device at some point for revalidation.

All users will get offline mode.

The Paypal door was closed a long time ago, when they froze our accounts and took our money with them for 6 months.
Franco Catrin
RetroX developer
steviebwoy

Postby steviebwoy » Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:09 am

Hm, okay. That's a bit of a shame. I know you're saying it's future-proof as you'd open the source code, but I'm kind of talking about keeping RetroX for the next 10 years or so on my Shield and it would be nice to know it'll still be working then. I don't know of any other front-ends or emulators that require a persistent (or at least every few days) online connection. It's a bit like the Xbox One - when it was first announced MS said it would need to be online the whole time and world went into meltdown! I guess it's just details, I'm sure it'll sort itself out over time. If not, I guess I'll just look elsewhere :)

I can tell you're not very happy to keep talking about this, so I guess we should move on 8-)
fcatrin
Site Admin

Postby fcatrin » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:29 pm

I undestand your concerns, but as you may see, Android apps are very easy to crack and use them as pirated, there are a lot of apps that are being distributed that way. If I detach the app 100% that is what will happen to RetroX, and I will not be able to fund its development as I do today. It will be a quick death.
Franco Catrin
RetroX developer
DaButcher

Postby DaButcher » Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:14 pm

Will be on the watch out for a OFFLINE option to use RetroX
pattho

Postby pattho » Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:33 am

Major feature for me, often play in a plane as I travel for work so excited this is coming hopefully soon.

I just found this and have a nvidiaShieldTV (about to get a 2nd one!) and 2 nvidia tablets as well as a SamsungS6

I have been playing with retroarch and hyperspin last couple days and overall the user experience is clunky so I am excited to try out RetroX and will probably be subscribing shortly

Thank you for all the work
TG x Era

Postby TG x Era » Wed May 24, 2017 7:35 pm

Im just wondering if this is a useable feature yet? or is it still in testing? if it is live what is the duration of none active connection?

i'm hoping to use retrox on my pi3 as i really don't link how cluncky retropie is
fcatrin
Site Admin

Postby fcatrin » Wed May 24, 2017 10:07 pm

I think we can cover both type of users with the same license. I would recommend to wait and see the final version of how it will work then we can talk about better way to do it.

We used Paypal at the beginning, until they closed our accounts with no major explanation neither chance to appeal, and then they grabbed our money for 6 months. That was the end of it.
Franco Catrin
RetroX developer
KingPepper50

Postby KingPepper50 » Sat Jun 03, 2017 11:36 pm

Hi Franco,
Did you get your money back in the end?
As they did the same to me and my girlfriend, we were selling things on eBay, and PayPal decided to freeze our account, for 90 days, we lost everything because of them, as we needed the money so we could post the items out to our customers.
fcatrin
Site Admin

Postby fcatrin » Sun Jun 04, 2017 12:25 am

We opened a temporary account meanwhile we tried to get back our first account,but it didn't happen and they closed the second account as well.

We got our money back from the first account, after 6 months (180 days).
The second account still has the money in, they don't allow us to transfer it unless we transfer it to a USA bank.

Believe me that I understand your situation perfectly, all the money that we earned with our work was kept by PayPal, it was really bad.
Franco Catrin
RetroX developer

Return to “Features”