3DO Emulation

Discuss existing features and requests for new features using [REQUEST] in the title
Forum rules
Discussions only around the RetroX application. Links to ROMs or request for them are forbidden. Insisting users will be banned
steviebwoy

3DO Emulation

Postby steviebwoy » Sat May 27, 2017 9:06 pm

Hi Franco, hope you're good,

I've been tinkering a bit with running 3DO games on my Nvidia Shield and I think there's a massive gap you could plug here. 4DO on Retroarch is absolutely awful, but there's quite a good standalone 3DO emulator out called Real3DOPlayer. It works really well, so I think you could potentially merrily plug it into RetroX.

There are a few issues wtih Real3DOPlayer though, it only supports 1 player (which means Return Fire is only half the fun), and the UI is terrible. I wonder whether it would be worth you picking up the mantle here, and add 3DO to the list of consoles you support.

I think it's key that the emulator already works well - there's very little point in adding support for a system that doesn't run well on Android, such as Gamecube. I think the results of the vote *assume* that you can release an emulator that works 100% perfectly, which is obviously not going to happen.

Just my thoughts :) Keep up the good work!
fcatrin
Site Admin

Re: 3DO Emulation

Postby fcatrin » Sun May 28, 2017 3:05 am

Thanks! Yes, 3DO is on the radar.
Franco Catrin
RetroX developer
steviebwoy

Postby steviebwoy » Mon May 29, 2017 7:22 pm

Do you think you might consider Real3DOPlayer as an emulator to add to RetroX? I think it would work really well.
fcatrin
Site Admin

Postby fcatrin » Tue May 30, 2017 12:54 am

it doesn't seem to be open source, so it will be impossible to make it RetroX compatible
Franco Catrin
RetroX developer
steviebwoy

Postby steviebwoy » Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:10 pm

Managed to get a few games to work on the 3DO emulator. Have you tried FIFA? It seems fine until I start a match, then I get really bad rendering of the pitch and all the players overlap each other! :geek:
fcatrin
Site Admin

Postby fcatrin » Fri Jun 09, 2017 4:54 pm

The emulator seems to have compatibility problems with several games. I've had problems with NFS and other 3D game that I can't remember now.

The codebase is from the 4do emulator which is available for windows as well. I don't have a windows machine to test, would you like to test it only to check if the problem is coming from the original emulator or is a problem with the android port?

Thanks
Franco Catrin
RetroX developer
steviebwoy

Postby steviebwoy » Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:08 pm

Hi :) I don't have it set up on my PC either, but I did have the same problems running the games through RetroArch on my Nvidia Shield too, so it's probably to do with 4DO.
fcatrin
Site Admin

Postby fcatrin » Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:29 pm

it must be.

What I've seen is that the 3do core for RetroArch has been rewritten from C++ o C, so I cannot make a direct comparision from the original code. I would love to know if this is problem because of an error in the translation or if this is a problem with the original code (FreeDO)
Franco Catrin
RetroX developer
fcatrin
Site Admin

Postby fcatrin » Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:29 am

I've updated the 3DO core to the latest version:

* Good news: broken 3D games like Need for Speed now work
* Bad news: performance is very bad, even running on the Nvidia Shield TV

I tried to test the 3DO with RetroArch to check if the performance problem is from the emulator itself or if it is something related to my build, but using RetroArch with 3DO only gives me a black screen.

If any of you is using 3DO on RetroArch, could you test Need for Speed and tell me how well/bad it runs on the Shield?

For RetorX beta users: The updated core is already available, I would love to get some feedback about it.
Franco Catrin
RetroX developer
robnmish

Postby robnmish » Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:42 pm

I played a few games with varying results...

PGA played fine without issues
need for speed was very choppy almost unplayab
gex seems to play fine but a side scroller should not tax the system too much
primal rage had occasional hiccups but was not bad

Return to “Features”