Retrox QA

Discuss existing features and requests for new features using [REQUEST] in the title
Forum rules
Discussions only around the RetroX application. Links to ROMs or request for them are forbidden. Insisting users will be banned
Retroash

Retrox QA

Postby Retroash » Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:44 am

So after a few days of use I am impressed with how far RetroX has come on.

I have taken a few notes and thought I would post up some to hopefully add value and add some feedback as I delve more into the app.

1. The option to turn off the info screen before you load a rom would be useful.

2. The NVidia Shield creates a folder on the SD Card called /Nvidia_Shield. Only this folder has write access to it. The App needs to point to this when trying to create a retro collection instead of the root of the card.

3. The Main menu needs an extra section which allows to select games per system. I know you can access the system individually but it would be nice to see this on the main menu which again has a separate list of recent and favourite games for that system.

4. It would be nice to see .pbp added to the list of supported files for PlayStation games.

5. Cloud saves on multiple devices. I have noticed that when you create a save on one device for a game, if you don't have that game on the other device or have played it yet, the device constantly tries to download the save state when either you launch the app or load a rom.

5. Manage games list - this is a small one but if you select this option whilst pressing another key straight after like pressing down. the manage games list looses focus and you can see the main menu scrolling down whilst the manage games list is still on screen.

6. I don't know if this has been mentioned but on the NVidia Shield, in order to use a NAS Drive, it needs to be mounted first via the settings on the NVidia Shield.

7. Possibly the option to manually add folders to the retro collection. PC Engine has multiple systems.

That's it for now. if I come across any more I will add.

Thank you for the hard work so far.

Ashley
Last edited by Retroash on Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
avalanche

Re: Retrox QA

Postby avalanche » Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:46 am

Retroash wrote:4. It would be nice to see .pbp added to the list of supported files for PlayStation games.

I think .pbp files work on it. Pretty sure I tried a handful the other week and they worked.
fcatrin
Site Admin

Postby fcatrin » Tue Jun 13, 2017 5:35 pm

Retroash wrote:1. The option to turn off the info screen before you load a rom would be useful.

Good one

Retroash wrote:2. The NVidia Shield creates a folder on the SD Card called /Nvidia_Shield. Only this folder has write access to it. The App needs to point to this when trying to create a retro collection instead of the root of the card.

I'll check this.

Retroash wrote:3. The Main menu needs an extra section which allows to select games per system. I know you can access the system individually but it would be nice to see this on the main menu which again has a separate list of recent and favourite games for that system.

For this I guess you are referring to the inital screen where you see several list of recommendations?

Retroash wrote:4. It would be nice to see .pbp added to the list of supported files for PlayStation games.

It is already supported, only the docs were not update. I've just updated it now

Retroash wrote:5. Cloud saves on multiple devices. I have noticed that when you create a save on one device for a game, if you don't have that game on the other device or have played it yet, the device constantly tries to download the save state when either you launch the app or load a rom.

I think that the problem is different. If RetroX tries to download the save state again is because it failed to process that save state. RetroX doesn't check what games are installed at that stage. You can give me your account name and game / system failing to check

Retroash wrote:5. Manage games list - this is a small one but if you select this option whilst pressing another key straight after like pressing down. the manage games list looses focus and you can see the main menu scrolling down whilst the manage games list is still on screen.

Ohh that's an Android bug/problem. I'll see what I can do

Retroash wrote:6. I don't know if this has been mentioned but on the NVidia Shield, in order to use a NAS Drive, it needs to be mounted first via the settings on the NVidia Shield.

Because that's different from RetroX NAS support.
RetroX has its own NAS support for all devices. The special case is the NVidia Shield where they have that support at the operating system level, so for RetroX the games are not coming from NAS but they are stored locally, but that's only an illusion that RetroX can't realize of.

Retroash wrote:7. Possibly the option to manually add folders to the retro collection. PC Engine has multiple systems.

It has been requested. Nice addition but low priority for now

Thanks for your comments!
You will see several of these features coming in the next versions
Franco Catrin
RetroX developer
Retroash

Postby Retroash » Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:26 pm

Retroash wrote:3. The Main menu needs an extra section which allows to select games per system. I know you can access the system individually but it would be nice to see this on the main menu which again has a separate list of recent and favourite games for that system.

For this I guess you are referring to the inital screen where you see several list of recommendations?

Yes, on the main rom screen.

Retroash wrote:5. Cloud saves on multiple devices. I have noticed that when you create a save on one device for a game, if you don't have that game on the other device or have played it yet, the device constantly tries to download the save state when either you launch the app or load a rom.

I think that the problem is different. If RetroX tries to download the save state again is because it failed to process that save state. RetroX doesn't check what games are installed at that stage. You can give me your account name and game / system failing to check

Retroash - Pinball Illusions

Thankyou Franco, Looking forward to the new build :D
fcatrin
Site Admin

Postby fcatrin » Wed Jun 14, 2017 3:30 pm

I've checked and there are two pinball ilussions saves, one is broken.
I'm preparing a user interface that will let you delete saves so you can use that to clear it later.

Now, I don't know why the file arrived broken :-(
Franco Catrin
RetroX developer
Retroash

Postby Retroash » Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:41 pm

strange how the save file became broken. I am able to fix it by just creating a save state file on the other device. But the ability to delete save state files would be handy.

I have some more things to add.

8. The ability to change the graphics filter mid game would be really nice. So you can try various filters without having to exit the game to select another one.

9. Its happens a few times now. If I pause a game and let the controller go to sleep or break the pairing, If you wait awhile then upon re-pairing it no longer controls retrox. dropping back to home screenhows the controller has successfully re-paired. What i think is happening is when the pairing is broken, RetroX uses a virtua gamepad (onscreen) and now uses this as the main controller.

Hope Im not being a nuisance logging these bits.

I was wondering if you use Jira to log and track sprints.
fcatrin
Site Admin

Postby fcatrin » Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:16 pm

Retroash wrote:strange how the save file became broken. I am able to fix it by just creating a save state file on the other device. But the ability to delete save state files would be handy.

It's still a problem that I haven't tracked down. I think that something in the resume code is failing, so if a file is uploaded between two different sessions it gets broken.

Retroash wrote:8. The ability to change the graphics filter mid game would be really nice. So you can try various filters without having to exit the game to select another one.

That would be awesome

Retroash wrote:9. Its happens a few times now. If I pause a game and let the controller go to sleep or break the pairing, If you wait awhile then upon re-pairing it no longer controls retrox. dropping back to home screenhows the controller has successfully re-paired. What i think is happening is when the pairing is broken, RetroX uses a virtua gamepad (onscreen) and now uses this as the main controller.

RetroX doesn't know about the pairing part. Once you set a controller, RetroX expect to receive events from that controller even when it is not connected. I think that this is a "focus" problem: Another window is receiving the events.

Retroash wrote:Hope Im not being a nuisance logging these bits.
I was wondering if you use Jira to log and track sprints.

I don't have a bug tracker. For now I think we can use this:
https://github.com/fcatrin/retroxlibs/issues
Franco Catrin
RetroX developer
Retroash

Postby Retroash » Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:44 pm

10. Educational is twice in the Genre menu. :D
fcatrin
Site Admin

Postby fcatrin » Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:13 pm