RetroX Dosbox

Discuss existing features and requests for new features using [REQUEST] in the title
Forum rules
Discussions only around the RetroX application. Links to ROMs or request for them are forbidden. Insisting users will be banned
Retroash

RetroX Dosbox

Postby Retroash » Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:19 pm

This is my first time exploring Dosbox but I am already liking it, however like with the Amiga I am unable to map custom controls. Is there a way to bring up an onscreen keyboard as some games require you to type ur name or something to start.

I have tried using keymap.conf file but the emulator is ignoring it.
fcatrin
Site Admin

Re: RetroX Dosbox

Postby fcatrin » Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:33 pm

DOS uses the same mechanism as Amiga, unless there is something broken that I haven't test it.

What may change are the key names, for example this is my keymap for Aladdin

UP = KEY_UP
DOWN = KEY_DOWN
LEFT = KEY_LEFT
RIGHT = KEY_RIGHT
BTN_A = KEY_SPACE
BTN_B = KEY_LEFTCTRL
BTN_X = KEY_ENTER
BTN_Y = KEY_LEFTALT
SELECT = KEY_ESC
START = KEY_ENTER
EXIT = KEY_ESC

There is no Android TV compatible keyboard yet
Franco Catrin
RetroX developer
Retroash

Postby Retroash » Sun Jun 25, 2017 2:45 pm

Hi Franco. Tried this and it is indeed broken and not using the Keymap.Conf file using the template you posted.

The defualt template also needs to change as its useless for most dos games

Like the Amiga. Dpad cannot be configured.

Also the dosbox addon usually crashes when trying to exit on most of the games i have tried.

Also Screamer 2 says its unable to start becuae it needs more ram. I have set everything in the gui to max 8mb

The dosbox config file also doesnt seem to get used as the gui still asks which exe/bat to use when launching a game.
fcatrin
Site Admin

Postby fcatrin » Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:43 pm

I think all problems are related to the config files not being found by the emulator. All those features are working, I play several dosbox games from time to time (commander keen, prince of persia, among others).

Let me check, I'm sure that one fix should solve all your issues.
Franco Catrin
RetroX developer
fcatrin
Site Admin

Postby fcatrin » Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:15 am

As I suspected, several of the problems that you found are because there was an error reading the custom files for DOS games. Now that is fixed in this testing version:
http://arealinux.cl/apk/RetroXTesting.apk

The following were part of that problem

Retroash wrote:* Tried this and it is indeed broken and not using the Keymap.Conf file using the template you posted.
* Like the Amiga. Dpad cannot be configured.
* The dosbox config file also doesnt seem to get used as the gui still asks which exe/bat to use when launching a game.

Note that if you put a dosbox.conf file, none of the settings in the UI will be used, because RetroX will use your dosbox.conf file instead.

I have some comments for the other problems reported:

Retroash wrote:The defualt template also needs to change as its useless for most dos games

What template exactly and what changes would you make?

I changed the default keyboard mappings a bit. I made the main butons to be LEFT SHIFT, LEFT CTRL, LEFT ALT and SPACE.

Retroash wrote:Also the dosbox addon usually crashes when trying to exit on most of the games i have tried.

This haven't happened to me in any game that I've played (66 games).
What kind of crash are you experiencing? Freezing? A message?

Retroash wrote:Also Screamer 2 says its unable to start becuae it needs more ram. I have set everything in the gui to max 8mb

This is very interesting.
I misunderstood the way the memory is setup in DosBox. I never tried a game that required more than 8MB so this problem was hidden until you tried Screamer 2.

Originally, RetroX let you specify the amount of memory for each kind of memory, like it works in the Amiga (fast memory, slow, memory, etc). But in PC, the memory is of one kind, only that there are different software interfaces to access it (XMS, EMS, UMB).

So, DosBox requires you to pass the total system memory, and then you enable which software interfaces can be used by the applications. So I added a new parameter called System Memory and Enable/Disable settings for XMS, EMS and UMB.

I didn't have a chance to test Screamer 2 in a real device, but the error stopped showing up when I set System Memory = 16, XMS = Enabled.
Captura de pantalla de 2017-06-27 03-11-20.png
Captura de pantalla de 2017-06-27 03-11-20.png (200.01 KiB) Viewed 10029 times
Franco Catrin
RetroX developer
drhoemmal

Postby drhoemmal » Sat Jul 01, 2017 9:12 pm

There are thousands of commercial Dosgames (the real stuff like Pirates! SimCity, Sierra Games... not Shareware or Demos)
https://archive.org/details/eXoDOS_Collection_v2.0

each of those .zipfiles has a working dosboxconfig-file... I've tried now a few of the games, every games starts without troubes in retroX

my questions to you franco: is there a GUI-Solution, to change the maping of the joypad in retrox for the dosgames and the savestate-possibility like in the other emulators where more than great.

and in a perfect world, there would be the victory tomorrow against germany, and a button on the gamepad that shows the standard android-tv keyboard, to work with retrox without the use of a hardwar-keyboard

bye
Helmut
fcatrin
Site Admin

Postby fcatrin » Sun Jul 02, 2017 4:11 am

drhoemmal wrote:my questions to you franco: is there a GUI-Solution, to change the maping of the joypad in retrox for the dosgames

Currently there is not. But I was working on that, that's one of the reason that I stopped the C64 porting. Using text files ruins the experience

drhoemmal wrote:and the savestate-possibility like in the other emulators where more than great.

This is less probable, considering that the original emulator doesn't support save states. For someone who is not familiar with the full emulator and architecture like me, it would be too hard to make it.

drhoemmal wrote:and in a perfect world, there would be the victory tomorrow against germany

haha Chile winning to Germany and Piñera losing our primary elections would make a perfect day for me.

drhoemmal wrote:and a button on the gamepad that shows the standard android-tv keyboard, to work with retrox without the use of a hardwar-keyboard

That's part of the same mapping tool. It's one Android TV compatible keyboard for mapping and keypresses. It cannot be done with the built in Android TV keyboard, so I build one for myself.
Franco Catrin
RetroX developer
Retroash

Postby Retroash » Sun Jul 02, 2017 1:12 pm

Hi Franco, The Keymap file is now working. I am able to map any key to any button. However the splash screen showing the joypad still does not show the keys mapped to the D-Pad.

Screamer 2 now comes up with a different error message and now and again I am still getting random crashing.
Attachments
IMG_7869.JPG
IMG_7869.JPG (1.08 MiB) Viewed 9959 times
IMG_7868.JPG
IMG_7868.JPG (879.04 KiB) Viewed 9959 times
fcatrin
Site Admin

Postby fcatrin » Mon Jul 03, 2017 1:58 am

Try first disabling all extra memory settings minus one. For example leaving only XMS and nothing else.

Here someone has a similar problem:
I observed that when EMS memory is configured the game will not start and lock the machine with a black screen. Loading MS-DOS mode with XMS memory addresses this issue.

http://www.philscomputerlab.com/screame ... ifuss.html
Franco Catrin
RetroX developer
drhoemmal

Postby drhoemmal » Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:41 pm

Retroash wrote:Hi Franco, The Keymap file is now working. I am able to map any key to any button. However the splash screen showing the joypad still does not show the keys mapped to the D-Pad.

Screamer 2 now comes up with a different error message and now and again I am still getting random crashing.

As you can see in the picture, it has to be a papel pintado error

Return to “Features”