Cover/Picture Loading hangs up...

Help and support for troubleshooting issues in RetroX
Forum rules
Before posting your questions, please check our official Troubleshooting guide at http://retrox.tv/help
fcatrin
Site Admin

Re: Cover/Picture Loading hangs up...

Postby fcatrin » Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:21 pm

Thanks!

I watched the video. The network connection seems to be a bit slow at the beginning of the video, but not enough slow to cause the delay that we are seeing.

Can you do this please?

1) Check if there is a folder called retrox.data in your hard drive. That will tell us if the artwork is being loaded from your hard drive or not
2) Do a full rescan and record a video of RetroX booting up. That will show us the speed of your drive's access.
Franco Catrin
RetroX developer
avalanche

Postby avalanche » Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:04 am

fcatrin wrote:Thanks!

I watched the video. The network connection seems to be a bit slow at the beginning of the video, but not enough slow to cause the delay that we are seeing.

Can you do this please?

1) Check if there is a folder called retrox.data in your hard drive. That will tell us if the artwork is being loaded from your hard drive or not
2) Do a full rescan and record a video of RetroX booting up. That will show us the speed of your drive's access.

Hi Franco. I checked my external hard drive. I couldn't find any folder called retrox.data. What should I try next?
fcatrin
Site Admin

Postby fcatrin » Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:11 pm

Try the rescanning anyway
Franco Catrin
RetroX developer
avalanche

Postby avalanche » Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:50 am

I tried rescanning but nothing changed.

I did have a look on my Shield and my GPDXD (that also has RetroX installed) and I noticed there was a retrox.data folder on both of them.

However there were no cover art files in the folders of either device.
fcatrin
Site Admin

Postby fcatrin » Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:51 pm

That's interesting

Can you post a shot from those folders?
Franco Catrin
RetroX developer
avalanche

Postby avalanche » Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:59 am

fcatrin wrote:That's interesting

Can you post a shot from those folders?

Hi Franco.

i've taken a few screen grabs of those folders. This was taken from the Nvidia Shield.

It seems the cover images are actually saving to the Nvidia Shield. But the images don't actually seem to save to the system until I open RetroX and go into the specific console system and the covers for each game load up. I then exited and checked the folders and it seemed to save the images.

I'm still finding the home screen cover images are loading up slow though. Even though a lot of the covers have been saved they are slow to load when I start RetroX up.

fcatrin
Site Admin

Postby fcatrin » Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:43 pm

How many cover files do you have in the retrox.data/covers folder?
Franco Catrin
RetroX developer
avalanche

Postby avalanche » Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:23 am

fcatrin wrote:How many cover files do you have in the retrox.data/covers folder?

I had a look and there's around 3000 files in there. That's only a small part of my actual rom collection.

It seems the images are only being downloaded and saved on the device when I go into RetroX > choose a system and scroll through the games and make the the covers appear.

Today I only had A-E of the genesis games games downloaded in the folder. So I went back into the genesis games screen and line by line let the covers appear until I got down to the last row. I went back and checked the retrox.data folder and then all the Genesis covers had been downloaded.
Aw89

Postby Aw89 » Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:19 am

So it is with me also thought it would be normal
fcatrin
Site Admin

Postby fcatrin » Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:23 am

That's how it is supposed to work. Only if you scroll to the game, the cover is downloaded unless a) it was previously downloaded or b) you already have it with the game.

The part that intrigues me is that there is a slowdown to show the covers that are already in your storage, that's why I think there should be something slowing down your storage. I don't have that problem, neither heard of, so another cause could be that reading a big list of files is working slow in your device, I could code a workaround for it, but it would be a lost effort if that is not the cause.

Can you try this?

1) Go to Settings -> Device -> Clear images
2) Close RetroX
3) Open RetroX and let the covers be downloaded again. Don't scroll
4) Close RetroX
5) Open RetroX. Is still being slow displaying the covers?

If you could record a video of the 5 steps, it would be great.
Franco Catrin
RetroX developer

Return to “Troubleshooting”