reloading save states several times

Help and support for troubleshooting issues in RetroX
Forum rules
Before posting your questions, please check our official Troubleshooting guide at http://retrox.tv/help
robj80

reloading save states several times

Postby robj80 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:35 pm

I am running a nvidia shield with external hard drive to store all of my roms. The other day I had an itch for some Sega CD goodness. I decided to unmount my hard drive from my shield and hook it up to my laptop. I loaded up all the sega cd games from retromania forum. I then plugged the hard drive back into my shield. At first retrox didn't start up. Just a gray screen. Then I rebooted the shield and retrox started.

Then I had to wait like 5 minutes as it said it was uploading all my save states and what not. I have taken my hard drive off my shield before and do not remember this ever happening before. I though no big deal. After it was done I tried out a sega cd game to make sure it worked and it did. I closed out of retrox and little while later my kid wanted to play so I opened it back up and again it started uploading save states and some other stuff.

I have since opened and closed the app several times and it did not do it again but I thought it was odd enough to make a post on here. Was this normal behavior?
fcatrin
Site Admin

Re: reloading save states several times

Postby fcatrin » Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:55 am

It's not normal at all.

RetroX upload the saves and writes the code of the last save in the retrox.data folder. That migration happens only the first time that you run the app. The second time, RetroX will find the code of the last save so it will not upload the data again.

If RetroX is uploading the saves again is because the code of the last save is not in the retrox.data folder, or it is corrupted. I would think that there was a problem after you used that drive in your PC so RetroX is not being able to write in the drive anymore, that's a common issue when the filesystem got corrupted, for example if you removed the drive from your PC before all the data was written.

Put the drive in the PC again, and use any of the tools to check the filesystem consistency. Make sure that you remove the drive safely and try again.
Franco Catrin
RetroX developer
robj80

Postby robj80 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:17 pm

Well this turned out to be my USB flash that I had set as internal was failing. It finally completely crapped out. My roms are on external but I guess the save state is on internal.
fcatrin
Site Admin

Postby fcatrin » Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:11 am

RetroX will try to use the external storage first, but it will fallback to internal if the app can't write to the external storage.

Now, for Android, sometimes there is no external storage, so it emulates it with internal storage.
Franco Catrin
RetroX developer
robj80

Postby robj80 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:06 pm

Hope I don't have something wrong with my external too. Everything seems to be performing great now that I got rid of the faulty flash drive. Right before the flash drive stopped working I was playing a game. A pop-up saying my flashdrive was no longer connected came up. I played the game for an additional half hour and went to save but none of my save states were there. I was not able to save the game.

I shut the game down and checked the storage on the shield and it showed my flash drive there but not connected. The external hard drive works perfectly and is showing up correctly. So my save states have been saving to internal for some reason.
fcatrin
Site Admin

Postby fcatrin » Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:22 pm

At boot, RetroX checks if the external storage is writable, if not, it falls back to the internal storage.
Franco Catrin
RetroX developer

Return to “Troubleshooting”