Feedback/Suggestions

Help and support for troubleshooting issues in RetroX
Forum rules
Before posting your questions, please check our official Troubleshooting guide at http://retrox.tv/help
Kilo886874

Feedback/Suggestions

Postby Kilo886874 » Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:06 am

I'm loving RetroX and think you have done a fantastic job. As a developer myself I just wanted to throw my 2 pence in, in regards to bugs I have noticed and things that could maybe be optimized...

Scanning PS1 on first launch takes forever - there are 1440 games but 7000 files (due to audio files etc) and it literally takes an hour to scan this one system. However when scanning FBA or MAME, which also has around 7000 files, it only takes 10mins... Why does PS1 take so long? I'm guessing because the files in PS1 are larger in size, but should it matter how big the file is if it only needs to check the filename for a match in the database? Maybe this scan method could be optimized?

Sometimes the "play" button is unavailable (it seems to be that sometimes it won't let you highlight it until the artwork/metadata has loaded). This is especially noticable in MAME/FBA (due to how many titles there are) if you immediately skip to letter "T" or something, you could be waiting 5 min for the artwork/metadata to catch up before you are able to highlight the play button.

Also while on the topic of artwork/metadata loading... it seems to load from #-z regardless of where you skip to... So I could immediately skip to "L" but before it loaded the artwork from "L" it would still load from left to right #,A,B,C,D,E,F,G,H,I,J,K. Maybe this could be optimized to prioritize loading artwork/metadata from the page you are on, rather than having to make It's way there from left to right. This could also potentially fix the above issue?

One last thing I noticed is that if a game fails to load, when you are returned to the systems gameslist it is blank, and you have to load another system, and go back to the one you were on, before the gameslist will load again. I can probably provide screenshots of this if you are unaware of the issue and I have not explained it very well.

Again I'm not complaining, I just wanted to provide some feedback and suggestions to what is an already superb bit of software!

Keep up the good work!
fcatrin
Site Admin

Re: Feedback/Suggestions

Postby fcatrin » Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:35 pm

Thanks for your comments. For me it seems that all relate to a slow storage or network issues.

About the PS1 issue: I think the problem is that your storage is too slow to list the files. The difference between MAME and PS1 is that RetroX in MAME tipically just read one .zip file and that's all, meawhile scanning for PS1 require RetroX to check the BIN files against the .CUE files, because several .BIN files are not new games, but part of a multi track game listed in a CUE file. I would try moving the games to individual folders so your storage doesn't take too much time listing the files.

Waiting for metadata to be loaded in 5 minutes is just too slow. Again, I would check why that storage is behaving that slow. In normal circumstances you should not wait more than 1 second.

About navigating through letters, no, RetroX doesn't load from # to Z, it just loads using "pages". You are looking one screen of 6 games, that is one page, RetroX will load that one and the previous and next page, so no more than 18 images will be read at once. Again, your storage (or network) being too slow make it seems like it is doing additional work.

About the game failing to load, can you record a video to see exactly what is happening there?

Thanks!
Franco Catrin
RetroX developer

Return to “Troubleshooting”