How to store Playstation/Dreamcast roms so they run

Help and support for troubleshooting issues in RetroX
Forum rules
Before posting your questions, please check our official Troubleshooting guide at http://retrox.tv/help
danventh

How to store Playstation/Dreamcast roms so they run

Postby danventh » Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:44 pm

Hi,
Im new to RetroX, I have got it all working pretty much. I have my roms on a 2TB hard drive and running via a Nvidia Shield 2017 (new model).
It all works fine, although im having fun with the start/select buttons.
Apart from the main issue, which is, when it comes to systems with compressed roms. Namely playstation and dreamcast.
I assume they dont work as they are in a RAR compressed file. Although the guides say it should work. When i try to run them it says this is not a vailid rom, or something along those lines.
As it only happens on those (PSP, n64 etc all play okay) I assume its linked to the fact they are compressed.

So Im going to uncompress and see how that goes (unless I hear any better suggestions). But how should i leave the files?
Should i uncompress and have a folder for each rom containing the various files for that game?
Or should i just uncompress all the roms into one big folder?

Any advise would be appreciated.
Thank you
Ratbag

Re: How to store Playstation/Dreamcast roms so they run

Postby Ratbag » Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:32 pm

I didn't have much luck with Dreamcast games unfortunately. PlayStation worked fine unzipped in own folders.
robj80

Postby robj80 » Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:26 pm

I personally have a folder named dreamcast. In that folder there will be folders with the name of game. In the game folder is all of that games files (bin cue images etc).

Only issue I have with DC is getting into the retrox menu when the game is running is not the usual BACK / Pause combo. It is just one of the buttons that makes it work.
avalanche

Postby avalanche » Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:24 am

I do folders for each game for PS1 and DC. It seems to work fine plus it's cleaner from a file management perspective.
danventh

Postby danventh » Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:02 am

Great, thank you. That was the way I was going to do it, but its nice to know its works that way for others.
I extracting at the moment and will give it a try later.
Thank you

Return to “Troubleshooting”