PSP, Recommended Games, Game Metadata Forcing, and Account Question

Help and support for troubleshooting issues in RetroX
Forum rules
Before posting your questions, please check our official Troubleshooting guide at http://retrox.tv/help
zirekyle

PSP, Recommended Games, Game Metadata Forcing, and Account Question

Postby zirekyle » Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:53 pm

Hi, I'm new to the app, so I've got a few questions and decided to bundle them all together.

1. I keep running into issues with the PSP emulator. I thought it was my disc format at first, but I've confirmed it isn't. It did not work from the beginning. I followed advice here and deleted the PSP addon app and then re-installed it. That fixed it and it worked. But then it stopped working again, and re-installing didn't fix it. The actual problem is when I try to start any game, it just goes to a black screen (with a gradient, so it's still in RetroX), waits about 7 seconds, and then boots me out of RetroX. I'm really surprised that other people aren't having this problem, as it happens to me every time.

2. How is the "Recommended Games" section determined? Right now, mine only has B.O.B. for Sega Genesis, with no way I can see to actually add or remove games. Is this a rotating list or something? Or bugged?

3. For games that can't find metadata, I'm not sure of the name needed for them to be recognized. Some are pretty straightforward names, such as "Legend of Zelda, The - A Link to the Past", which isn't found. What is the source of truth for that, so I can perhaps browse their DB and see what name they have it under?

4. And finally, are there any plans to have a one-time purchase of RetroX without cloud saves? I think it's a cool feature, but I didn't even realize it was an annual subscription for the app until I went to buy the code after I'd set everything up during the trial. (I actually found on the website article announcing cloud saves that it was only a possibility to add a subscription later on, but I guess it's been added, since.) Repaying the full cost each year for it, while low compared to other things, just isn't desirable when I'm not using that feature. I understand that the emulators are updated somewhat frequently, but I'm not sure that alone justifies the annual subscription cost. Is a one-time fee without cloud saves possible in the future? Thanks!

Quick Edit: I have an Nvidia Shield TV.
zirekyle

Re: PSP, Recommended Games, Game Metadata Forcing, and Account Question

Postby zirekyle » Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:19 pm

As an update, if I clear the cache for the PSP addon app specifically, and then load a PSP game, it will crash RetroX. But if I open RetroX again, it will work then. (Even if RetroX was already closed when I cleared the PSP addon originally; it requires it to be opened and crash for it to work again.)

But, after that, it will have a corrupted cache again. I've heard other reports on this forum of the app breaking on the Nvidia Shield. I know there's a limit to what can be done with hardware you don't control, but surely the app could be configured to workaround this? Is there any upcoming update for the PSP addon or the base app to possibly fix this? Nvidia Shield users seem like they're a big part of your subscriber base.

Thanks!
zirekyle

Postby zirekyle » Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:05 am

If anybody is actually reading this...

The cloud saves for PSP don't seem to work (when I get PSP working)... it saves fine on my phone, but the saves do not show on my Nvidia Shield. Is this another part of the same issues with PSP on the Shield?
Ratbag

Postby Ratbag » Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:30 am

The PSP core is quite old now and needs an update. I use ppsspp for psp emulation rather than retrox. I'm wondering if the issues relate to the latest Shield update that caused problems with a couple of other emulators. IE the Amiga emulator crashes out randomly when the menu is opened.
robj80

Postby robj80 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:02 pm

I will test PSP when I get home. I have used PSP in the past with no issues. I only play PSP games on my shield though so I would not know about saving on another device then continuing the game on shield. If I have time I will load a game on my phone and test.
zirekyle

Postby zirekyle » Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:12 pm

Thanks for the help. Please keep me updated.
robj80

Postby robj80 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:52 pm

I just played MegaMan on my shield and made a save state. I was able to resume the game on my phone. I then made a save state then resumed the game on my shield. It seems to be working as expected.

Now this was not perfect. First I never played psp on my phone so it had to download the psp emulator. This timed out the first time. Second time worked fine and no issues with starting the game. But now I notice my phone touch doesn't allow for multibutton push. So I can jump but can't jump forward. Just straight up.

Another issue I had was on the shield all of my psp games weren't there except for a handful that I just played. This was odd and required me to reboot retrox. After that all was well.

Last odd thing I came across was when trying to play another MegaMan game where he is a kid the game didn't load but retrox didn't freeze. It put me into the ppsspp settings. I can repeat this over and over with that game.

As far as the favorites row it is the devs favorites. He has a list and if you have a rom that is on his list it will show up there I guess.

In closing I don't have your issue but I have a few of my own lol.
zirekyle

Postby zirekyle » Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:53 pm

Yeah, it seems that PSP in general has issues.

My problems with it are very consistent. I need to clear the cache for the PSP addon and then try to load the game twice before it works. I'll need to repeat again the next time to play. It's very frustrating.

How often are the cores updated?
robj80

Postby robj80 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:26 pm

You can try deleting the entire app and all the data and setting it up again. Something might not have downloaded 100% correctly.

I am not sure the cores have ever been updated since I've owned retrox. Which is over a year.
zirekyle

Postby zirekyle » Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:32 pm

Unfortunately, I've already tried that a few times. Trying some more, though.

Also, it's saying I need to be online to use the app. I thought it had an offline mode? I was just online with it minutes ago, but it says it needs to renew now.

Return to “Troubleshooting”