MAME input menu crashes game when entered

Help and support for troubleshooting issues in RetroX
Forum rules
Before posting your questions, please check our official Troubleshooting guide at http://retrox.tv/help
robertwallace

MAME input menu crashes game when entered

Postby robertwallace » Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:11 am

I've got 200+ MAME10 (.139) games installed on my Nvidia Shield (2017 version) and can't get the MAME input menu to work so that I can get my controller (shield controller) to work correctly. I can bring up the MAME menu, scroll around the options and even bring up a few reports. But when I try to enter the Game input menu, the game crashes back to the RetroX interface.

Is there any way to get my controller keys mapped correctly without hand-editing 200+ mapping files?

Also, my Shield controller's left and right triggers and the D-pad won't even register when in the user gamepad configuration menu. Other buttons are recognized when I press them, but not those for the D-pad and triggers.

I can easily map all the control buttons I need in RetroArch or Hyperspin (and another I forget ATM), but I like your interface and auto-download operation better - at least for games that only have 3 buttons :)

[note: in case they were causing issues, I uninstalled all previous emulators from my Shield - only RetroX emulator is installed, but it still crashes games as explained above]

As of this posting, I have 1.5 days left on my free license. These MAME controller issues are deal-killers for me. Thanks for any help you can provide.

Robert
robertwallace

Re: MAME input menu crashes game when entered

Postby robertwallace » Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:32 pm

Never mind a reply. I'm apparently a bit slow since I've just now realized you've changed the pricing structure to a subscription model and still require a mandatory internet connection. Really not worth it for me, considering the trouble and apparent impossibility of getting your software working with MAME while using standard Nvidia controllers. There are a plethora of free emulator/front-ends for the Shield. I liked yours enough that I would have paid for it, one time. But a subscription? No. Oh, well. I shouldn't have to look very hard to find something better.

RetroX: Uninstalled.
fcatrin
Site Admin

Re: MAME input menu crashes game when entered

Postby fcatrin » Fri Nov 01, 2019 3:33 pm

Just in case anybody faces this similar problem, there is no need to configure each MAME game, just go to Gamepads -> Gamepad 1, press a button in your NVidia controller and then Save.

In the future you even't won't need this step because of automatic gamepad detection:
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=1347
Franco Catrin
RetroX developer

Return to “Troubleshooting”