3do and dreamcast games play too slow

Help and support for troubleshooting issues in RetroX
Forum rules
Before posting your questions, please check our official Troubleshooting guide at http://retrox.tv/help
tvgameskodi

3do and dreamcast games play too slow

Postby tvgameskodi » Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:15 pm

I love your app, but am growing frustrated. Every 3do or dreamcast game i throw at it play verrry slow if at all. The device I am using is a Matricom Q2, which is a very capable device. I am thinking the problem is most likely the emulators themselves? It would be great if I could at least remove the non-working emulators from the menu if there is no fix for this. Any other suggestions?
Retroash

Re: 3do and dreamcast games play too slow

Postby Retroash » Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:15 am

Hello, Which Dreamcast games are running slow, I have tried Daytona and Virtua Tennis and they run full speed for me.

I am using a NVidia Shield TV, the device that your using states it has a Mali-450 which should be ok but not the best. Also there's a lot of clone android boxes out there that say they are one thing and have cheaper components inside.

This I learnt for myself after buying various boxes and being disappointed and just decided to buy the Shield instead. Never looked back.
fcatrin
Site Admin

Postby fcatrin » Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:34 pm

Though is not a fast processor it seems to be quite fast (S812).

I recommend you to install an app like No Frills CPU so you can change the CPU governor. The CPU governor is what throttles the CPU speed depending on the apps requirements, sometimes it is adjusted very conservative so the apps never get full CPU speed.

If you find a mode to run it full speed always check your device temperature when in use.

Hope it helps
Franco Catrin
RetroX developer
tvgameskodi

Postby tvgameskodi » Wed Jun 14, 2017 6:31 pm

Thank you for your reply, I will certainly try that when i get a chance to do so. interestingly, it plays ps1 games perfectly fine.
Retroash

Postby Retroash » Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:39 pm

The general rule of thumb with emulation is that the hardware has to be ten times more powerful than the machine ur emulating.

Dreamcast is a 128bit processor noami 2 board with a cd add on. alot more powerful than a 32bit playstation.

Theres also an app i used to use called app killer or cpu killer which would automatically run every time i booted an app, enabling the launched app to have the cpu most resources.

Just wait for Gamecube emulation. thats gonna need some kick.
tvgameskodi

Postby tvgameskodi » Sat Jun 17, 2017 4:26 am

I tried as you suggested, and the dreamcast games play great, but every 3do game still plays too slow. I know you don't have any control over which emulators work well with which hardware, but could you add the option of omitting unused systems from the interface? this would make it a cleaner experience for anyone that only want to use a few. If I can't play 3do games then seeing it there drives me crazy.
fcatrin
Site Admin

Postby fcatrin » Sat Jun 17, 2017 4:56 am

I understand. I would add it as an option. I know the users and they will be requesting support for system that are already supported ;-)
Franco Catrin
RetroX developer

Return to “Troubleshooting”