Searching Network/LAN shared directories not working

Help and support for troubleshooting issues in RetroX
Forum rules
Before posting your questions, please check our official Troubleshooting guide at http://retrox.tv/help
compsmith

Searching Network/LAN shared directories not working

Postby compsmith » Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:32 pm

Im running the trial of this wonderful android software. The main reason I was interested was the ability to load roms off network shares. I currently have a MS Server 2012 DC running a directory shared for all my game roms. The purpose is so I dont have to load the roms on every device internal storage.

The issue is that when I try to use the option for "Home network / NAS" the only option is "workgroup". No option to enter the server in manually or does it show the local domain. ESfile explorer can find the server fine.

Is there a way to manually enter the server or can this be implemented? As this will be the reason to purchase the software.

Side questions:
Does purchasing the software cover licences on all my android tv devices?
I have game saves on another emulator (John nes & snes) can I move the saves to Retrox? If yes what directory?
Last edited by compsmith on Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
fcatrin
Site Admin

Re: ROMS stored on Windows Server network share

Postby fcatrin » Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:45 pm

compsmith wrote:Im running the trial of this wonderful android software. The main reason I was interested was the ability to load roms off network shares. I currently have a MS Server 2012 DC running a directory shared for all my game roms. The purpose is so I dont have to load the roms on every device internal storage.

The issue is that when I try to use the option for "Home network / NAS" the only option is "workgroup". No option to enter the server in manually or does it show the local domain. ESfile explorer can find the server fine.

Windows networks are "tricky" to say the least. If your server doesn't appear in the list it is because it is not answering the broadcast requests to announce itself. RetroX uses the SMB1 / CIFS protocol only, may be your server doesn't have it enabled. (Many disable it for security reasons)

compsmith wrote:Is there a way to manually enter the server or can this be implemented? As this will be the reason to purchase the software.

No, because if the server is not responding requests it will not do it even when sending them direct messages.

compsmith wrote:Side questions:
Does purchasing the software cover licences on all my android tv devices?

With one activated account you can use up to 6 devices at the same time

compsmith wrote:I have game saves on another emulator (John nes & snes) can I move the saves to Retrox? If yes what directory?

Yes if they use the same format. If you are using RetroArch you will be able to use those saves. For the directory I recommend you to save one game on RetroX so it will create the required folder structure, then just overwrite the save with yours. RetroX will use a "retrox.data" folder in the root of what your Android device considers to be the primary external storage.
Franco Catrin
RetroX developer
compsmith

Postby compsmith » Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:40 pm

fcatrin wrote:
compsmith wrote:Im running the trial of this wonderful android software. The main reason I was interested was the ability to load roms off network shares. I currently have a MS Server 2012 DC running a directory shared for all my game roms. The purpose is so I dont have to load the roms on every device internal storage.

Windows networks are "tricky" to say the least. If your server doesn't appear in the list it is because it is not answering the broadcast requests to announce itself. RetroX uses the SMB1 / CIFS protocol only, may be your server doesn't have it enabled. (Many disable it for security reasons)

compsmith wrote:Is there a way to manually enter the server or can this be implemented? As this will be the reason to purchase the software.

No, because if the server is not responding requests it will not do it even when sending them direct messages.

I worked on this last night with no success. I made some progress and I believe if I was able to enter the smb share path to my rom directory within the app it would work.

My server 2012 is a domain controller also. The domain "COMPSMITH" shows up along side "WORKGROUP" inside the app but to log into the root of the "COMPSMITH" share requires authentication. The shared sub directory "ROMS" allows for anonymous logins which is what I assume the app tries to do. From my Ubuntu box I can access the roms directory via smb://my_server_name/roms anonymously. smb1 is enabled. So this is where i am stuck and i believe entering in the path would work.

Side question:
The interface on my Nexus Player is not the same as my Shield TV. Could you enable the interface on the Nexus Player like it is on the shield tv?
fcatrin
Site Admin

Postby fcatrin » Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:51 pm

compsmith wrote:II worked on this last night with no success. I made some progress and I believe if I was able to enter the smb share path to my rom directory within the app it would work.

My server 2012 is a domain controller also. The domain "COMPSMITH" shows up along side "WORKGROUP" inside the app but to log into the root of the "COMPSMITH" share requires authentication. The shared sub directory "ROMS" allows for anonymous logins which is what I assume the app tries to do. From my Ubuntu box I can access the roms directory via smb://my_server_name/roms anonymously. smb1 is enabled. So this is where i am stuck and i believe entering in the path would work.

I think the problem is that browsing the shares required authentication even when there is a public folder in it. RetroX triggers the authentication when the folder (not the computer) requires auth. I can consider this case and create a test version for you.

compsmith wrote:Side question:
The interface on my Nexus Player is not the same as my Shield TV. Could you enable the interface on the Nexus Player like it is on the shield tv?

Enable it in:
Settings -> Display -> User Interface -> TV

If the interface works fine in the Nexus Player, can you send me a shot from Settings -> Diagnostics -> Device Info so I enable the TV interface by default to all the Nexus Player future users? Thanks
Franco Catrin
RetroX developer
compsmith

Postby compsmith » Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:59 pm

fcatrin wrote:
compsmith wrote:II worked on this last night with no success. I made some progress and I believe if I was able to enter the smb share path to my rom directory within the app it would work.

I think the problem is that browsing the shares required authentication even when there is a public folder in it. RetroX triggers the authentication when the folder (not the computer) requires auth. I can consider this case and create a test version for you.

Yes thats my assumption as well. Im trying to enable browsing shares without authentication on server 2012 but for security reasons Id rather not.

fcatrin wrote:
compsmith wrote:Side question:

Enable it in:
Settings -> Display -> User Interface -> TV

If the interface works fine in the Nexus Player, can you send me a shot from Settings -> Diagnostics -> Device Info so I enable the TV interface by default to all the Nexus Player future users? Thanks

TV interface on the Nexus Player seems fine. Email sent with the screen shot.
Thanks for you help
fcatrin
Site Admin

Postby fcatrin » Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:11 pm

Thanks for the shot. Next version will make TV to be default for new users with the Nexus Player device.

As for NAS, I'm trying to create a similar setup as yours. I cannot set the server to ask for a password when browsing the shares, but I was able to disable browsing at all. Is that your current setup? If so, I understand that an option would be to allow the user to enter a full share path with a keyboard. Is that your case?
Franco Catrin
RetroX developer
compsmith

Postby compsmith » Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:53 pm

fcatrin wrote:Thanks for the shot. Next version will make TV to be default for new users with the Nexus Player device.

As for NAS, I'm trying to create a similar setup as yours. I cannot set the server to ask for a password when browsing the shares, but I was able to disable browsing at all. Is that your current setup? If so, I understand that an option would be to allow the user to enter a full share path with a keyboard. Is that your case?

Its a Windows Server 2012 R2 Domain Controller setup. I believe because the domain controller roll is enabled that causes the browsing of the shares needs authentication. I have one share (roms) I created that allows for anonymous access. This involved some group policy changes to allow the "guest" user to accept anonymous logins with permissions set to "everybody". This directory is directly accessible with out user log in but i need to enter the full path. Not sure if this helps you. I would prefer not to do this and have the app prompt me for login credentials for a domain user but this may be more difficult.

Let me know if you need anymore information.
fcatrin
Site Admin

Postby fcatrin » Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:30 am

I changed some settings here and I think I got to a similar setup than yours, then I added authentication in every step that my network was requesting for.

Can you try this version?
http://arealinux.cl/apk/RetroXTesting.apk

Thanks
Franco Catrin
RetroX developer
compsmith

Postby compsmith » Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:20 pm

fcatrin wrote:I changed some settings here and I think I got to a similar setup than yours, then I added authentication in every step that my network was requesting for.

Can you try this version?
http://arealinux.cl/apk/RetroXTesting.apk

Thanks

I got Access denied - Signature vitrification failed when selecting the domain name. On my linux box after selecting the "COMPSMITH" domain The server would be shown then selecting the server would prompt for authentication.
Attachments
20170623_101052.jpg
20170623_101052.jpg (56.39 KiB) Viewed 10271 times
20170623_101044.jpg
20170623_101044.jpg (59.27 KiB) Viewed 10271 times
fcatrin
Site Admin

Postby fcatrin » Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:54 pm

Thanks.

I've updated that file so it will give us more information about the error. Can you try that and take a screenshot of the error message?

Cheers
Franco Catrin
RetroX developer

Return to “Troubleshooting”