Upcoming features ands announcements in general
fcatrin
Site Admin

[RELEASE] 2.7.5 Smooth

Postby fcatrin » Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:21 pm

An interesting update to RetroX has been just released:

• Now you can enable Enhanced Resolution for PlayStation
  • Hiding systems with no games now works with Themes
  • Favorites, Recently Played and Recommended games now can be selected from the main menu in Themes
  • RetroX Vintage (CRT) theme
  • Added Random mode to the background music
  • Added fade in / out for background music
I want to give a big THANKS! to some users for the heads up on the Playstation Enhanced Resolution Mode: Nick Eldridge
and Rory Nolan.

If you are using the unofficial ComicBook for RetroX theme, update it from the same location.

psx_enhanced2.png
psx_enhanced2.png (801.85 KiB) Viewed 9007 times

Screenshot_1544722408.png
Screenshot_1544722408.png (229.5 KiB) Viewed 9007 times

Screenshot_1544721408.png
Screenshot_1544721408.png (334.83 KiB) Viewed 9007 times

crt.jpg
crt.jpg (1.17 MiB) Viewed 9007 times
Franco Catrin
RetroX developer
amplebbq

Re: [RELEASE] 2.7.5 Smooth

Postby amplebbq » Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:54 pm

Franco this is an AWESOME update man! I've been using Epsxe as my PSX emulator and Retrox for the rest of my systems because of the low resolution, so this will be HUGE! Thank you sir.
Retro enthusiast.
amplebbq

Postby amplebbq » Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:49 pm

I've been testing the update, and all works smoothly. A few things to note about enhanced resolution i've noticed:

If you enable enhanced resolution, the current filter you have applied will be disabled. This is probably a feature I imagine, as running a filter on top of the enhanced resolution will cause extra slowdown. It would be helpful to allow them to both be enabled if you're using high performance hardware like an Nvidia Shield or Galaxy Note 9.

Enhanced resolution will only apply to polygon based graphics. Any on-screen sprites or text will run with regular resolution and will have filters turned off. So just remember to turn off enhanced resolution if you're going to play a game like Suikoden 2, or any sprite based game, so you can use your filters (if that's your preference).

Final assessment: enhanced resolution mode looks beautiful! Crash Bandicoot, Metal Gear Solid, Tony hawk, etc, so much better and sharper!

Thanks for all your hard work Franco, and to the community members who helped as well. :)
Retro enthusiast.
danytyler

Postby danytyler » Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:24 pm

Great update.

I have been testing it and I have detected that in Commodore Amiga the four main buttons are "Button 1", this makes unplayable some of the titles like Flashback, Project X, Arabian Nights in which the space bar or second button are essential.

By the way, I would like to reiterate my wish that this system could have a scanlines or crt filter, it's how it really looked.
It's a shame because the emulator works very well, but this detail minimizes it.

About the Enhanced resolution, it's nice but I don't think it's a priority, since I think that a system designed to emulate retro, should mainly seek to be faithful to how each system seemed originally. Once this is achieved, it is when you can move forward with secondary additions.
The other improvements are very good in my opinion, I love the RetroX Vintage (CRT).

This is just my humble opinion, with the intention of collaborating as much as possible to what I consider the best available frontend.

Congratulations for the update and the good work.
fcatrin
Site Admin

Postby fcatrin » Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:29 pm

amplebbq wrote:I've been testing the update, and all works smoothly.

... hence the release name ;-)

amplebbq wrote:If you enable enhanced resolution, the current filter you have applied will be disabled. This is probably a feature I imagine, as running a filter on top of the enhanced resolution will cause extra slowdown. It would be helpful to allow them to both be enabled if you're using high performance hardware like an Nvidia Shield or Galaxy Note 9.

It's strange, they are different things. I just made a test and confirmed that both can be used at the same time

psx_filters.jpg
psx_filters.jpg (609.93 KiB) Viewed 8989 times

amplebbq wrote:Thanks for all your hard work Franco, and to the community members who helped as well. :)

Thanks!
Franco Catrin
RetroX developer
amplebbq

Postby amplebbq » Fri Dec 14, 2018 5:52 pm

Ok thanks Franco. I use the xbr-super-xbr-2p filter, so it could just be that, i'll try another filter and see what result I get.

What does enabling interlacing do in the options menu for PSX? Basically inserts CRT type scanlines?

Thank you
Retro enthusiast.
fcatrin
Site Admin

Postby fcatrin » Fri Dec 14, 2018 6:23 pm

danytyler wrote:Great update.

I have been testing it and I have detected that in Commodore Amiga the four main buttons are "Button 1", this makes unplayable some of the titles like Flashback, Project X, Arabian Nights in which the space bar or second button are essential.

Those are the default settings, you can change them adding a text file. I know it's not the best method, but a new one is in the way to do this with a GUI.

http://www.retrox.tv/button-mappings/
Franco Catrin
RetroX developer
fcatrin
Site Admin

Postby fcatrin » Fri Dec 14, 2018 6:30 pm

amplebbq wrote:Ok thanks Franco. I use the xbr-super-xbr-2p filter, so it could just be that, i'll try another filter and see what result I get.

What does enabling interlacing do in the options menu for PSX? Basically inserts CRT type scanlines?

Thank you

I think that mode will send the frames as they are produced by the GPU, first odd scanlines, then even scanlines, that's how CRT displays worked. I guess that without that option, the rendering will merge both frames to build a "progressive" frame, most appropiate for modern TVs

Just guessing.
Franco Catrin
RetroX developer
amplebbq

Postby amplebbq » Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:47 pm

Ah ok that makes sense, awesome! :)
Retro enthusiast.
Ratbag

Postby Ratbag » Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:23 am

Somebody else complained of this a while back and now it's happening to me: psx games lead to a black screen and nothing more. Sometimes just kick back to retrox home screen. In the past a reboot fixed but it's happening more and more right now. Shield TV.

Return to “News and Announcements”