Ps1 games not recognised

Help and support for troubleshooting issues in RetroX
Forum rules
Before posting your questions, please check our official Troubleshooting guide at http://retrox.tv/help
cooky069

Ps1 games not recognised

Postby cooky069 » Mon May 22, 2017 7:27 pm

Hi all, I'm new to the forum. I've just started using retrox and I'm having trouble with some of my ps1 games not being recognised. The problem roms are all .PBP format, I've tried scanning them individually but I get an error saying it's not a valid game file. I have other games in the same format that run fine and I've used all the roms on stand alone epsxe before with no problems, any ideas where I'm going wrong ?
fcatrin
Site Admin

Re: Ps1 games not recognised

Postby fcatrin » Wed May 24, 2017 12:15 am

PBP files are not playstation games, they are PSP games that contain playstation games.

Some emulators may read that format but it is not the case for the emulator that RetroX uses. Those PBP files were created from an original playstation file, so your best option is to get the files in the original format (ISO or BIN/CUE)
Franco Catrin
RetroX developer
avalanche

Postby avalanche » Wed May 24, 2017 10:26 am

fcatrin wrote:PBP files are not playstation games, they are PSP games that contain playstation games.

Some emulators may read that format but it is not the case for the emulator that RetroX uses. Those PBP files were created from an original playstation file, so your best option is to get the files in the original format (ISO or BIN/CUE)

I'm curious how does Retro X go about handling multi disk games for Playstation 1 like Resident Evil 2, Final Fantasy 7-9 and Abes Exodus?
fcatrin
Site Admin

Postby fcatrin » Wed May 24, 2017 10:03 pm

Just make sure that the name contains the text "disk 1" or "disc 1" and they will be picked up like multi disc games.
Once inside the game, you can switch the disc in the in game options.

More info at
http://www.retrox.tv/multi-disk-support/
Franco Catrin
RetroX developer
avalanche

Postby avalanche » Thu May 25, 2017 6:49 am

fcatrin wrote:Just make sure that the name contains the text "disk 1" or "disc 1" and they will be picked up like multi disc games.
Once inside the game, you can switch the disc in the in game options.

More info at
http://www.retrox.tv/multi-disk-support/

Too easy! glad to hear that it's got a easy to use disc swap function. Been having trouble with Recal box with swapping discs.

I have however gotten very use to using .pbp files so i'll need to accustom myself again to bin and cue files.
cooky069

Postby cooky069 » Thu May 25, 2017 6:54 am

Thanks everyone all sorted now I've switched to bin/cue files. It's really odd the emulator seems to play some but not all .pbp files for whatever reason,I'm playing ffvii now in pbp. format without the slightest problem.
fcatrin
Site Admin

Postby fcatrin » Fri May 26, 2017 12:09 am

I'm sorry, sorry, sorry.

I've just checked and yes, the emulator seems to support that format along other unknown formats. I'll add the functionality for RetroX to recognize those files.

This is the official list of supported formats by the emulator:

bin|cue|img|mdf|pbp|toc|cbn|m3u
Franco Catrin
RetroX developer
fcatrin
Site Admin

Postby fcatrin » Fri May 26, 2017 4:43 am

I went to make the change and found that it already supports the format, only that the docs are not updated.

Did the scan games work for you when using pbp?
Franco Catrin
RetroX developer
avalanche

Postby avalanche » Sun May 28, 2017 4:16 am

fcatrin wrote:I went to make the change and found that it already supports the format, only that the docs are not updated.

Did the scan games work for you when using pbp?

Yeah all my games were .pbp and the scanner seemed to pick them up fine
cooky069

Postby cooky069 » Mon May 29, 2017 10:21 am

No joy here yet. Updated the app and rescanned games but still only recognises the .pbp files from before, wondering if I may need to do a fresh install

Return to “Troubleshooting”