New user interface with THEMES support

Discuss existing features and requests for new features using [REQUEST] in the title
Forum rules
Discussions only around the RetroX application. Links to ROMs or request for them are forbidden. Insisting users will be banned
fcatrin
Site Admin

New user interface with THEMES support

Postby fcatrin » Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:12 pm

One of the features that have been requested a lot is to have support for themes in the user interface, although I was reluctant to work on it, later I realized that it is something that will turn RetroX more interesting, and it opens the door to include the work from real artists and designers. I wrote a post about that in our blog:

http://www.retrox.tv/plans-for-retrox-v3-theme-support/

The work on this feature has started. First I will focus on having at least something like EmulationStation provides (in RetroPie), so in the case that nobody steps in with their own theme, at least we will have a new interface mode for our users.

I recorded an early demo of this new feature and it feels very slick!

Franco Catrin
RetroX developer
RetroMania

Re: New user interface with THEMES support

Postby RetroMania » Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:49 pm

Can't wait for this to be released :)
Brent

Postby Brent » Wed Apr 12, 2017 5:20 am

If this is the early starter then roll on the future :D .

One thing to possibly get a heads up on earlier is what will it support image wise and or will it support video? Being an avid hyper spin fan too, I have tons of screens, backgrounds, vids (probably like many other retrospect guys hehe) and get get an early start on uploading or getting theme packs ready.

I know you will anyways Franco, but the earlier the better for file types and dimensions would be great.

Oh and one last little request hehe......could the image files be stored in a different folder to the roms so the romsets could stay clean? :D :D

But brilliant work!
Brent
Brent
(Mr. Eye Candy)
Loopzilla

Postby Loopzilla » Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:10 am

Looks great Franco! Looking forward to playing with it.
warpig

Postby warpig » Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:42 am

This is very exciting news Franco, thank you so much. Have you seen Project Luka? , it gives an idea of what can be achieved using this type of interface, see link below.

https://youtu.be/3EmqGXBV8PQ
fcatrin
Site Admin

Postby fcatrin » Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:55 pm

Brent wrote:One thing to possibly get a heads up on earlier is what will it support image wise and or will it support video?

It all depends on what is possible in Android. There is one big difference between Android and a desktop operating system like Windows or Linux/RetroPie, and it is the amount of memory available for the apps. In Windows/Linux you can use all the memory available but in Android you are restricted to a specific limit and you simply can't use more. I've seen devices ranging from mere 16MB up to 64MB which is NOT a lot of memory. I think I will take three devices as a reference of what amount of media will be available: Shield TV, Amazon Fire TV and the Xiaomi Mi Box. The video above is already using more than 16MB of memory.

As a reference, a 1920x1080 rgba image requires 8MB

Brent wrote:I know you will anyways Franco, but the earlier the better for file types and dimensions would be great.

I'm open to support videos, but I have to see them working first :-)

For dimensions, my plan is that the theme will be designed for a specific resolution and scaled up or down by the app to the real resolution. So the theme designers will be able to target 4K, 720p or 480p screens as they will.

Brent wrote:Oh and one last little request hehe......could the image files be stored in a different folder to the roms so the romsets could stay clean? :D :D

That's a good suggestion. Now that part of the scanning code supports alternative locations better. Let's talk here: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=11
Franco Catrin
RetroX developer
fcatrin
Site Admin

Postby fcatrin » Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:58 pm

warpig wrote:This is very exciting news Franco, thank you so much. Have you seen Project Luka? , it gives an idea of what can be achieved using this type of interface, see link below.

That's a standard RetroPie image with EmulationStation. And yes, that kind of user interface will be supported because that's the one that I am using as a reference for the theme engine :-)
Franco Catrin
RetroX developer
ricromand

Postby ricromand » Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:48 am

warpig wrote:This is very exciting news Franco, thank you so much. Have you seen Project Luka? , it gives an idea of what can be achieved using this type of interface, see link below.

That's a port of Recalbox, which is a port of retropie, both using emulationstation ;-)
fcatrin
Site Admin

Postby fcatrin » Thu Apr 13, 2017 2:35 am

ricromand wrote:

That's a port of Recalbox, which is a port of retropie, both using emulationstation ;-)

There is only one Luka in this world, and he is saved as an icon for world peace ricromand ;-)
Franco Catrin
RetroX developer
ricromand

Postby ricromand » Thu Apr 13, 2017 2:44 am

fcatrin wrote:
ricromand wrote:

There is only one Luka in this world, and he is saved as an icon for world peace ricromand ;-)

In Luka we trust!!

Return to “Features”