Price and purchase method change

Upcoming features ands announcements in general
amplebbq

Re: Price and purchase method change

Postby amplebbq » Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:51 pm

On the contrary, the new pricing tier is more than fair for what Franco is offering. The costs of running a cloud based save system and to pay for development and continued quality of life updates, etc, $12 a year is getting off easy. I have a lifetime sub but i'm considering buying a 2nd yearly sub just to support development and hosting costs. Arc Browser is neat, but it is also time consuming and you need to manually move your save files between devices. RetroX just plain works, it is fully ready to go at all times. You can start a game on your phone, go home and hop on your Shield TV and pick up where you left off. The convenience factor is worth the price of admission. I believe this is how most of us feel who truly believe in the value of the product. My only gripe is the lack of offline mode for when i'm out of wifi or cell coverage...then I switch to other emulators if I need to get my retro fix. Come at me bros. :twisted:
Retro enthusiast.
fcatrin
Site Admin

Postby fcatrin » Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:57 am

Thanks! I think you got the idea really well. RetroX is for people that recognize the value on it: ease of use, continuos development and support (some may not agree but...), it "just works". Other people may not think that it has a value for them so they will be happy with other alternatives. It is not about me finding or trying to convince users, it's me offering a service that makes people's life better and they give me the enough support to continue giving that service.
Franco Catrin
RetroX developer
cryptic_crusader

Postby cryptic_crusader » Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:09 am

Is there a formal place to donate?
methanoid

Postby methanoid » Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:12 pm

fcatrin wrote:No more lifetime licenses. The update was done last night

Oh sod that.. thats me done then... I am not paying a yearly fee.. not when development is failing to meet its own roadmap... Sorry, don't mean to be rude but its not worth it (to me) :(

EDIT: BTW is anyone checking the English language (or other languages). In the video (old) I saw from ETA Prime the English needed fixing. I was gonna offer to do that but obviously not much point now for me.
amplebbq

Postby amplebbq » Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:01 pm

I as well would like to donate or have the option of a monthly subscription to help fund development. I'm saving up for the RetroX branded hardware box, but until then throwing $5 a month would make me feel good for donation. And methanoid, yes, I hear you. Franco is a one man show, I know you want Atari ST emulation (read your other posts), but it will get here when it gets here, other systems are higher up in priority right now.
Retro enthusiast.
fcatrin
Site Admin

Postby fcatrin » Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:10 am

Thanks guys for your support!

If you are current RetroX users the best contribution is helping new users when they get stuck with a problem or helping me with ideas to make RetroX better, or get my attention on things that should be fixed. RetroX now is quite big so when I put attention in one part, other parts are left without it.

As an example, this last weekend we spent 3 days working out some DOS issues with an user. He showed me that games purchased in GOG were not able to start, so we fixed that and found more stuff to fix on the way. Meanwhile, other parts of the app didn't advance this weekend but at least we know that for future GOG users RetroX will be ready to play their games.

After the offline issue, I decided not to focus on one thing at a time anymore, because one feature like that can stop many interesting and simple features to be added. So now I'm working on several fixes or features at the same time, and I release them as soon as they are ready for the public.

methanoid, if you are interested in Atari ST, I recommend you to open a post about it in the features section. So when that feature gets released I can post a response there and you will be notified.
Franco Catrin
RetroX developer
methanoid

Postby methanoid » Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:23 am

fcatrin wrote:methanoid, if you are interested in Atari ST, I recommend you to open a post about it in the features section. So when that feature gets released I can post a response there and you will be notified.

Thanks, but I will be going with ARC Browser as its a one time payment. I would have gone with RetroX if you had kept your old payment process.
cryptic_crusader

Postby cryptic_crusader » Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:59 pm

FYI,

Whoever is on the fence between RetroX and a competitor, just know this, I've spent some time trying different front ends (including Arc Browser) and they're all a mess (in one way shape or form including RetroArch on Android) on my Android tablet (Asus zenpad z8s) is running RetroX flawlessly.

Without a doubt RetroX is one of the most reliable utility apps I've ever used. (I am a front end designer/programming) 8-)

I know price can be a contributing factor but remember that you are looking at a front end ALOT and RetroX has made me happy and motivated me to browse and favorite more games I probably would have never found.

It's also super easy to pass to a NOOB and have them browse.
Menrock

Postby Menrock » Thu Apr 04, 2019 12:44 pm

Maybe a lifetime license without cloudsave.

Or a lifetime license with 50$ cost (launchbox example), people like options.

I found retrox when had lifetime license and have one but if i couldn't buy lifetime license on that moment i just don't, im not despise your job but i prefer not paying more services, i have enough of these on my life.

My point is better sell a license with a higher price that cover some years of support and your user forget about paying again than lose the money.

Maybe im wrong i use retrox to play some nes and sega games with large period of no use (those moments when you have free time to you but not on house) thats why paying a year for limited uses don't work to me.
ArthurDaley

Postby ArthurDaley » Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:36 am

I've joined the forum just for making this post.
PLEASE consider a lifetime license option, one without the cloud server side of things.

I've no problem keeping the device online to authenticate the licence,
But have zero need to cloud save my progress in double dragon for example.

Return to “News and Announcements”