PSP, Recommended Games, Game Metadata Forcing, and Account Question

Help and support for troubleshooting issues in RetroX
Forum rules
Before posting your questions, please check our official Troubleshooting guide at http://retrox.tv/help
robj80

Re: PSP, Recommended Games, Game Metadata Forcing, and Account Question

Postby robj80 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:56 pm

When I deleted the app there was another folder with retrox data. I deleted that one too. I had to do that once when I messed up my game saves trying to copy a Dreamcast VMU save. This probably won't help your issue though.

Yes Retrox needs to be connected to the internet. There is no offline mode.
zirekyle

Postby zirekyle » Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:11 pm

I was testing with another game now and it's showing better success. The only working sometimes and working fine in other emulators was throwing me off that being an issue. I'll try converting to different formats and see if any have better success.

Also, that's pretty frustrating that there is no offline mode. I thought I saw a blog post about one being added.
fcatrin
Site Admin

Postby fcatrin » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:25 pm

Hi!

First, I recommend you to not group many questions in one post, because I need to address all at once and that makes me skip it until I have enough time. If they are separated, I can answer them progressively one by one.

So, here we go:

1) PSP. From what you say, it sounds like the emulator is getting stuck, so if you try to run it again it is already frozen. If you press some buttons, Android will try to send those events to the emulator and because it doesn't react to those events Android simply kills it, that's why you see that RetroX tries to open it, it doesn't respond and it is closed by Android. In some devices, Android asks the user to wait or close, but in the Shield it just close it. After being closed by Android, if you try it again it will run, until it freezes again. Given that the emulator doesn't work with all the games, and nobody else is having this problem I would think that the emulator fails with the game that you are trying. Please try Rayman 2, I know it works well, if that one works well for you, then it's the game crashing the emulator.

Clearing the cache or the data forces Android to close the emulator as well, so again it will work the second time, but if the game freezes then the emulator must be killed again by the system the next time you try to use it.

If you want to force it close, you also can use the option that is in the same screen as the option to clear the cache.

2. Savings not working. All saves are made local first, then RetroX uploads the file to the server. When you open RetroX in another device, it checks for new saves and download the new ones. If you can open the save in the original device after closing the emulator, then I would check if the file got uploaded to the server, you can do that through http://login.retrox.tv, or send me your account name to check your files. It has happened in the past that for some reason the files ended with a problem that makes it unusable in other devices, I've fixed those cases but there may be a new one that I need to fix.

3. I'm giving a second chance for offline access. The app will always work online because that's is how it is designed, but you will be able to use it offline for travelling or when suffering internet intermittency problems.

4. Subscriptions. They are not only because of server / cloud costs. RetroX is not like a product that I can sell and forget about it, it requires working on it every day, developing it, fixing problems, giving support, etc. If I would let it alone, it would die in less than a year, because of Android updates and new hardware available, they break things and they need to be fixed. I was aware that this is more like a service than a product, so I needed to make sure that I can keep working on it for the years to come, I cannot do that with "pay once and have fixes and new features for the next 5 years".

5. PSP emulator upgrades. I would add Dreamcast to that list. They need to be done at some point. Well, that's one of the tasks that I talked about in the previous paragraph.

6. Recommended games: That's a list that I make and I haven't updated in some time. I'm doing a change to better identify the games so after that I will make that list better and return to update it from time to time.

7. Names: The description of how it works is here: http://retrox.tv/names. I noticed later that some games are named in different forms if they start with "The". For example: "The Simpsons" and "Simpsons, The" can be the same game, so I just ignore the "the" part if the name start of ends with "the", in this case, the game is just "simpsons". The case that you put brakes this rule, he game Should be "The legend of zelda" or "Legend of zelda, The", but it is a very different case that I need to have in account. For a human it would seem like a simple name, and "obvious", but for a computer to be programmed it is not obvious at all. IMO Putting the "the" at the end causes this kind of unneeded problems, it's a bad thing that they decided to use that kind of names.

8. I got lost, remind me if I left something without an answer.
Franco Catrin
RetroX developer
zirekyle

Postby zirekyle » Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:26 am

Thanks for the replies. The strange thing that made me think it was the Shield is that the game runs fine when I use RetroX on my phone. Maybe I messed up and somehow put a different format of the game on my phone. I'll check out the things you said. Thanks!
zirekyle

Postby zirekyle » Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:36 am

Oh, some followup...

1. I see how the naming structure works form the URL you provided, but what is the source to compare the names to, to make sure they match up? Does it pull from IGDB or are they stored locally somewhere?

2. I checked out the save manager thing you linked. The savefile I made on my phone isn't showing up there at all. But, I can still see it as existing on my phone. Any idea why it wouldn't be uploading it from the phone? Any way to force it from the phone, or a way to SFTP it up or something?

Thanks again.
fcatrin
Site Admin

Postby fcatrin » Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:14 pm

1. The database is built from many places, converting game names to codes. Then when scanning your collection I repeat the process and match the codes. The case of Zelda is one that I wasn't aware of. A different case is MAME and FBA games, they are already coded.

2. To force it to be uploaded again just save it again. When RetroX find a modified game it uploads it to the server.
Franco Catrin
RetroX developer

Return to “Troubleshooting”