Vote for the next emulator

Discuss existing features and requests for new features using [REQUEST] in the title
Forum rules
Discussions only around the RetroX application. Links to ROMs or request for them are forbidden. Insisting users will be banned

Which emulator would you like to see added next?

3DO
4%
Commodore C64
13%
Sega Saturn
21%
ZX Spectrum
9%
GameCube
39%
Atari ST
6%
Amiga CD32
5%
The emulator that is inside this box
4%

Total votes: 223
Lubo1967

Re: Vote for the next emulator

Postby Lubo1967 » Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:17 pm

Hi Lads.
Did we get a winner for next emulator? :D :D
amplebbq

Postby amplebbq » Thu Apr 25, 2019 3:23 pm

I'd guess from looking at those stats, that Gamecube is our next emulator! :-D
Retro enthusiast.
Ratbag

Postby Ratbag » Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:56 pm

amplebbq wrote:I'd guess from looking at those stats, that Gamecube is our next emulator! :-D

Sad to say there's going to be a lot of disappointed people if that's implemented.

I've got dolphin installed on my shield TV and most games have unplayable frame rates.

I'd prefer to see the existing emulators to be updated and improved. Psp and N64 can be improved massively by updating the cores.
Kisame83

Postby Kisame83 » Sat May 04, 2019 3:24 pm

Ratbag wrote:I'd prefer to see the existing emulators to be updated and improved. Psp and N64 can be improved massively by updating the cores.

Well sure, but isn't this about NEW systems? That doesn't preclude core updates.

And the Shield has always been cool, but to my knowledge hasn't had a significant hardware upgrade in about 4 years. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Just saying, it would be a shame to see Retro X not move forward because of old tech. Newer devices actually show GameCube to be quite playable on android, and that's only going to be true for more users as time goes on and people upgrade or trade in phones or tablets.

I understand that, since the system doesn't work well for your preferred device, it holds no appeal. I'm just sharing the other perspective. I'm on a Note 9, and this morning played Tales of Symphonia and Xenoblade Chronicles (Dolphin supports Wii as well) without too much difficulty. Not perfect, but very playable.
Ratbag

Postby Ratbag » Wed May 08, 2019 4:55 pm

Kisame83 wrote:
Ratbag wrote:I'd prefer to see the existing emulators to be updated and improved. Psp and N64 can be improved massively by updating the cores.

Well sure, but isn't this about NEW systems? That doesn't preclude core updates.

And the Shield has always been cool, but to my knowledge hasn't had a significant hardware upgrade in about 4 years. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Just saying, it would be a shame to see Retro X not move forward because of old tech. Newer devices actually show GameCube to be quite playable on android, and that's only going to be true for more users as time goes on and people upgrade or trade in phones or tablets.

I understand that, since the system doesn't work well for your preferred device, it holds no appeal. I'm just sharing the other perspective. I'm on a Note 9, and this morning played Tales of Symphonia and Xenoblade Chronicles (Dolphin supports Wii as well) without too much difficulty. Not perfect, but very playable.

Shield TV is no spring chicken but in gpu terms it still beats out most newer processors, including Snapdragon 8 series with the exception of 855. If the shield can't run it, , very few things can. 95% of people will be disappointed with GameCube performance.
avalanche

Postby avalanche » Thu May 23, 2019 7:59 am

i'd also like to see Drastic (nintendo DS) added to the list
Kisame83

Postby Kisame83 » Sun Jun 02, 2019 12:40 am

Ratbag wrote:Shield TV is no spring chicken but in gpu terms it still beats out most newer processors, including Snapdragon 8 series with the exception of 855. If the shield can't run it, , very few things can. 95% of people will be disappointed with GameCube performance.

Honestly, I just don't see it that way. I had Dolphin running decently with some tweaking on my Note 8, which is nearly two years old now. And running near flawless on my Note 9, last years phone. Sure, people on budget plans or who refuse to upgrade their devices will find it slower going. But, hell, the same is true of Dreamcast. And Retro X supports that. Every year that passes, and with every stable update to Dolphin, what you said will become less and less true. A new wave devices will soon launch, and last years high end devices will get cheaper.

Just my opinion, but I think the demographic of people with upgrades in their cellular plan who would like to try portable Wind Waker or Twilight Princess or Smash Melee is higher than the demo of people pining for Defender of the Crown or classic Turrican (absolutely no disrespect to those classics, mind you).

Return to “Features”