Running RetroX without active connection

Discuss existing features and requests for new features using [REQUEST] in the title
Forum rules
Discussions only around the RetroX application. Links to ROMs or request for them are forbidden. Insisting users will be banned
banditdude

Re: Running RetroX without active connection

Postby banditdude » Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:02 pm

There is a difference between using the internet to work and being forced to be online. I've said it before, it really limits what you can use the software on. My perfect example was having this software on my tablet that needs to connect to WiFi for internet. I was working in a classroom at the time and the school WiFi blocked the retrox login. So it's useless unless I had to set up a tether from my phone. Why force me to be online when everything is there locally on my device.
Lamaman1971`

Postby Lamaman1971` » Fri Mar 01, 2019 5:11 pm

Hi,

In response to recent comments regarding the applications requirement for an Internet connection and the developers response I have reviewed the home page and I think that at best the headline requirements are misleading :

System Requirements:

ARM based Android 4.0 or higher device (*)
Internet connection

The applications Achilles Heel is the requirement for an always on internet connection. Most applications require an initial connection for these types of systems - thinking about Launchbox / Hyperspin and so on - but work perfectly well offline too. Taken at face value, the system requirements can be read like that - rather than the way they are now.

My suggestion would be to clarify the system requirements to ensure that purchasers are crystal clear with regard the requirement - perhaps something as below :

System Requirements:

ARM based Android 4.0 or higher device (*)
Continual Internet connection, WIFI or Cellular

Regards

Mark
fcatrin
Site Admin

Postby fcatrin » Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:50 pm

I understand the way you put it there, but that case would be an optional requirement and not a requirement as I put it, if not, I would think the app requires Android just sometimes and not always...

Now. I've been giving a lot of thoughts to this feature and may be I tried to adapt the app to many different use cases and to be as automatic as possible adding a lot of complexity to it. I've seen that most people require the app to be offline because they will have a flight or commute for some hours. In that case may I just can add a switch so the app disables any internet access to a maximum time of X hours and then just stop working after that time passes (unless you are playing a game). No automatic detection or revalidation needed.

That will allow anyone to use portable devices or travel with RetroX. A more ambitious solution as I intentded to do at first can be built from this simpler one in the future.
Franco Catrin
RetroX developer
nex0r

Postby nex0r » Wed Apr 03, 2019 4:46 pm

That would work for me.

My situation is that I use my Shield TV at home on a LAN with internet with no issues. I take the Shield with me when I go off for long weekends in a caravan and connect the Shield to my 4G phones hotspot just for RetroX (I play films and TV from a USB HD). Sometimes there's no internet available due to the rural areas I'm located and so I can't use RetroX at all.

Could something be built in to allow no active connection for days rather than a few hours?

I know I'm in the minority of users
fcatrin
Site Admin

Postby fcatrin » Wed Apr 03, 2019 5:41 pm

There is nothing set on stone yet so, how many days?
Franco Catrin
RetroX developer
Ilyador

Postby Ilyador » Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:27 am

Yeah !
This simpler solution is a good idea.

In the same way, could I propose maybe a different approach for this one ? :
Rather than use time limit (hours or days) to block RetroX if expired (maybe it is also possible for hacker to override this timer), is it feasible to limit instead the number of games/roms that can be launched when this switch "offline mode" option is enabled ?

Proposition examples :
- Allow selection of just few games/roms (2 or 3 slots) from our list ONLY WHEN the switch "offline mode" option is "OFF" (maybe with a specific "offline tag", like the favorite tag, or into a dedicated list with an additionnal screen interface),
- As is still connected to internet in this normal state :
_ send/synchronize this list of selected roms to your server (roms filenames or id) for control (check number of roms for examples, etc.),
_ prepare from your server a dedicated ACK file response (specific to the user account, date, maybe token, etc.),
_ inform user/gamer that "RetroX will take into account this change on next restart" (same behavior as rescan emulator folder),
_ on restart, get "ACK file" from server if exists, check it and save offline tag for each roms listed if it is OK.
- So, when switch "offline mode" option is "ON" :
_ disable internet connection functionnalities (of course),
_ disable option/interface of "offline games selection",
_ disable "launch" button of all game not tagged as "offline" : only enable those correctly tagged (maybe with ACK file control again),
_ keep this switch state "in memory" (retrox.data ?) for next app restart.

- Or simpler for the 1st point above (list of offline games) : only managed through your web interface (login.retrox.tv), with new additional admin screen, allowing user to fill directly 2 or 3 game filenames for example (so, requiring active account).
And the RetroX app restart will get for this user the "ACK file", ... etc.

Note : and so, according security against hacker, there is never guarantee ... but even if it is possible to bypass online games selection management (to override games offline tag into apk), an existing and correct additional "ACK file" would still required.

Anyway, it's maybe just not feasible or viable :)

And sorry for this very long message :roll:
Devices : Wetek Play 2 (AndroidTV 6 custom rom v2.4) / Xiaomi Mi Box 3 (AndroidTV 8) / Smartphone Android 6 / GPD XD+ Cleanrom v2 (Android 7)
Lamaman1971`

Postby Lamaman1971` » Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:17 pm

I agree that a temporary offline mode would be the way to go. I doesnt need to be a huge amount of time.

Might I suggest that you employ an offline timer which enables the user to access the software for x number of hours of play. Once expired, it will need to reconnect to the internet. Having just returned from a long international trip without access to WiFi it would be a real benefit. 12 or 24 hours seems reasonable in terms of hours of use (rather than an arbitrary timer) before re connection.
avalanche

Postby avalanche » Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:04 am

Agreed. I do a lot of commutes that could be anywhere between 1-6 hours. If there was a timer system or something similar that would be great because then I could use RetroX when i'm not near Wifi.
i_m_chance

Postby i_m_chance » Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:19 am

I am really keen on this feature. I am getting my son to appreciate the cool world of Rom games spending our daily commute having him playing not worrying about tethering just for him to be online just retrox to work.
In addition to my usual overseas visits that last for a couple of days and unable to play as well.
How about keeping a token that last for 7 days. after that requires the connection.
Tberto

Postby Tberto » Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:22 am

The longest flight here in the US is 6-hours. I think it should be minimum that. It would be great to set it for up to 7 days. This is something that's NEEDED BADLY. If I want to play games in the car, on a flight, at the beach, at work...I need to be offline.

I can't see how this isn't mandatory when compared with an LDK or Bittboy. They are ONLY offline and much cheaper than a subscription over the course of 4 years.

Return to “Features”