Feature request

Discuss existing features and requests for new features using [REQUEST] in the title
Forum rules
Discussions only around the RetroX application. Links to ROMs or request for them are forbidden. Insisting users will be banned
Gazmeister

Feature request

Postby Gazmeister » Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:21 pm

Hi Franco,

just thinking about how much I love RetroX and what I would love to see somewhere down the line.

* Create own themes including own layout. We would need to know how to create them and the ability to upload these files in RetroX. These would initially be client based only and in due time you could add an option for users to select one of the best 10 community templates for example. Let the community do the work for you and implement the preset options when you are ready and when you have some cool options to choose from.

* Create your own systems so that you can reorganise your folders the way you want to. For example; instead of finding all CPS2 games in Mame of FBA, you could create your own system called CPS2, select system logo from local storage, select which emulator needs to be associated to the emulator (i.e. mame 2014) and select folder for your roms. Under the hood, it would reuse existing emulators and its settings. But for the end user experience it gives a lot of flexibility. Neo geo? Create new system, select logo, select FBA, point to Neo Geo folder and your set. If creating own systems will give you trouble in the default RetroX layout where you select systems, you could limit the max amount of systems people can add freely, i.e. 10 'own' systems max.

* Advanced search functions; Mame has metadata that pertains to genre info, player info etc (you have the XML file ;) ). Using these to filter titles will enhance search functionality tremendously. E.g. I want the US version of capcom fighting game from 1992 which accomodates up to 2 players that is NOt a clone and no bootleg. More options in this department mean more efficient ways to find the games you need. Most systems already have extra metadata available when you...

* Scrape artwork from either gamesdb or other source. I realise these services offer crap performance most of the time but int he case where your art repository comes up empty, a scrape would be great. Now I have to google the game, save some screen grabs , rename them and upload those to my USB drive. Which is way too much work. along with the artwork, scraping can yield metadata which can improve the search experience(see previous bullet)

*offline mode - or at least reduce online verification counts. My internet was down this week for a couple of days. sucked that I couldn't game out of the box without doing stuff like tethering etcetera. I had to revert to Arc Browser which I like less than RetroX. I know this is a difficult one to implement but I think at some point people will expect it.

I have some other minor gripes but all in all I love RetroX! Keep up the awesome work!
All the best,
Gaston
fcatrin
Site Admin

Re: Feature request

Postby fcatrin » Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:53 pm

Thanks for all the suggestions! Some are being worked on or planned, check here:

http://retrox.tv/roadmap

Anyway you added some things that I haven't seen that way, so I'll see what can I do for them

PD: I know, I know, the roadmap is completely delayed, but I'll be catching up as time passes

Cheers
Franco Catrin
RetroX developer

Return to “Features”