Running RetroX without active connection

Discuss existing features and requests for new features using [REQUEST] in the title
Forum rules
Discussions only around the RetroX application. Links to ROMs or request for them are forbidden. Insisting users will be banned
MyLittleVoodoo

Running RetroX without active connection

Postby MyLittleVoodoo » Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:06 am

I do alot of travelling and the ability to use RetroX on an airplane or hovercraft would be excellent. I understand that it would hurt this project if a standalone version was created and distributed without permission. Is there an option to use a PGP Key or some-sort of public-key encryption with a passphrase which must be kept alive every 12hours?
steviebwoy

Re: Running RetroX without active connection

Postby steviebwoy » Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:36 am

Totally agree. I think we need this to work offline as I often travel with my Nvidia Shield too.

Also, in the future, what happens if the servers go down or if the developer takes his servers offline? It's just a little unsettling to have bought a piece of software that relies on a server in order to work. I'm talking 5 years down the road, here.

Surely if we've bought a piece of software it should just work and we should be able to use it independently of external factors like authenticating with a server. I understand the issues with piracy, but there has to be a better solution?
fcatrin
Site Admin

Postby fcatrin » Thu Apr 13, 2017 2:32 pm

I've been working on this and my approach is that the app will require to validate itself after X time has passed. That would allow you go a few days out and use it without connecting to the server.

About a server shut down, this is my official statement:
"If I would need to take the servers down it would be because I would be out of business, if that would be the case, I would disconnect the app from the server and open its source code. There is too much love in the app code to just leave it to die. Opening the source will give it a new life beyond me"
Franco Catrin
RetroX developer
steviebwoy

Postby steviebwoy » Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:37 pm

fcatrin wrote:I've been working on this and my approach is that the app will require to validate itself after X time has passed. That would allow you go a few days out and use it without connecting to the server.

"If I would need to take the servers down it would be because I would be out of business, if that would be the case, I would disconnect the app from the server and open its source code. There is too much love in the app code to just leave it to die. Opening the source will give it a new life beyond me"

Well, let's all hope that never happens anyway :)
fcatrin
Site Admin

Postby fcatrin » Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:41 pm

steviebwoy wrote:
fcatrin wrote:I've been working on this and my approach is that the app will require to validate itself after X time has passed. That would allow you go a few days out and use it without connecting to the server.

Well, let's all hope that never happens anyway :)

One never knows!

Anyways... the offline code has just been merged with the theme code. It is required to make development faster. So it will be a simultaneous release
Franco Catrin
RetroX developer
MyLittleVoodoo

Postby MyLittleVoodoo » Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:53 pm

Franco, you are an absolute legend . thanks
Sayajiin

Postby Sayajiin » Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:17 pm

I second that too It is a must :D Having a shield tablet I don't have Internet exept at home or at work. When I'm on the bus or in a car as a passenger I wish I could play my RetroX. Just hope you gona find a way to protect your product and let us free of Internet :D
steviebwoy

Postby steviebwoy » Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:39 pm

Man, this is my only issue with RetroX at the moment. I just can't cope with having to be connected to the internet every time I launch.

Franco, have you had any other thoughts about how we can get around this? It's kind of annoying that if I want to take my Shield to my friend's house I have to connect to his Wifi/my phone before I can play.. :(
fcatrin
Site Admin

Postby fcatrin » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:02 pm

steviebwoy wrote:Franco, have you had any other thoughts about how we can get around this?

Read my comment above please
Franco Catrin
RetroX developer
doriann

Postby doriann » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:53 am

My suggestion would be to have 2 types of licenses, the standard that costs $ 12.99 for up to 4 devices, and the license for offline use that could cost around $ 5.99. The license for offline use would be indiviual or it could only activate a single device. At the time of activation it would require connection of course. If in the future the person wants to update the application, it would also have to connect on the internet. Another suggestion is to add paypal as a form of payment.
DoRiAnN DaMoN
Portuguese translator for RetroX

Return to “Features”