Running RetroX without active connection

Discuss existing features and requests for new features using [REQUEST] in the title
Forum rules
Discussions only around the RetroX application. Links to ROMs or request for them are forbidden. Insisting users will be banned
Tw3ak

Re: Running RetroX without active connection

Postby Tw3ak » Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:43 pm

I don't understand why your so upset about something as small as offline mode when as far as i can tell it only checks online for authentication and then checks for updates and that's all as long as you don't close it you can keep using it offline until you relaunch it, And come on today's day and age your telling me even traveling you don't stop for gas or to eat and that place doesn't have wifi for you to quickly login if you relaunched it? Seems like a trivial issue to me and your making a mountain out of a mull hill and i understand both sides being a dev myself not wanting your work cracked and given away free and i respect his decision as should you that offline mode will just open it up to being stolen, but i also understand if you bought it based on offline mode coming and then recanted but i would be more understanding in your position if the app didn't work without internet which it does once you pass the authentication and update check unless something has changed since the last time i used it anyway.
molul

Postby molul » Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:53 pm

Well, in my case I just think it was a bit ugly promising an offline mode and then cancelling it. But I don't mean to start a flame war, just explaining what I didn't like. To me, the offline mode was a really handy feature. Of course I can share internet from my phone to my tablet for a moment when I'm on a train, but it could be more convenient than that. And so it was promised.

No bad feelings, though. I just thought I'd share my point of view with you :)
fcatrin
Site Admin

Postby fcatrin » Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:41 am

First, offline mode is not cancelled but frozen.

RetroX may seem to be a simple app, but that's the outside view. To make things easier for the user, there is a lot of code behind that simple face. Some changes that break the original design can easily require tons of changes, and that's the case of the offline mode. Sure, I can make something as simple as checking the access once and use that validation later, but that's very easy to break. As I made the changes to implement the offline mode I found a lot of ways to circumvent the security measures, so it requires more work that even myself thought it would require.

Just as a note, RetroX is currently 80.000+ lines of code, and that's only the Java part. XML's, translations are other definitions probably make it go over 100.000 lines of code.

Captura de pantalla de 2018-04-16 22-34-52.png
Captura de pantalla de 2018-04-16 22-34-52.png (37.08 KiB) Viewed 17565 times
Franco Catrin
RetroX developer
Fredoias

Postby Fredoias » Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:30 pm

OK, I recently saw that another company is using Retrox as a backbone for their software. I also read that this is good news as the partnership is supposed to help with the offline mode. However I have seen nothing here to explain the progress for the offline mode. Any updates?
zulu

Postby zulu » Sun Sep 09, 2018 4:41 am

Fredoias wrote:OK, I recently saw that another company is using Retrox as a backbone for their software. I also read that this is good news as the partnership is supposed to help with the offline mode. However I have seen nothing here to explain the progress for the offline mode. Any updates?

Do you have the link to the article you are referring to?
robj80

Postby robj80 » Sun Sep 09, 2018 11:59 pm

https://www.piretrogaming.com/prg

This is the company now using retrox software. I hear they have offline mode already. The retrox end here has been very quiet lately. I am ok if development has ended. I feel I have my monies worth. I would love improvements including offline mode and a few more emulators and updates. Skins would be a bonus but I am not holding my breath on any of it.
zulu

Postby zulu » Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:33 am

robj80 wrote:https://www.piretrogaming.com/prg

This is the company now using retrox software. I hear they have offline mode already. The retrox end here has been very quiet lately. I am ok if development has ended. I feel I have my monies worth. I would love improvements including offline mode and a few more emulators and updates. Skins would be a bonus but I am not holding my breath on any of it.

Thanks good to know.
fcatrin
Site Admin

Postby fcatrin » Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:18 pm

Development hasn't ended at all. On the contrary, now there is more pushing forwards.
I wrote the announcement about PRG in the related Facebook groups, and I'll add some info in this forum... once I ended answering all the pending posts.
Franco Catrin
RetroX developer
Fredoias

Postby Fredoias » Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:23 am

Any new information concerning the offline mode?
Fredoias

Postby Fredoias » Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:05 pm

It sure is quiet in here.

Return to “Features”