Running RetroX without active connection

Discuss existing features and requests for new features using [REQUEST] in the title
Forum rules
Discussions only around the RetroX application. Links to ROMs or request for them are forbidden. Insisting users will be banned
fcatrin
Site Admin

Re: Running RetroX without active connection

Postby fcatrin » Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:15 pm

Yes it will work.
Franco Catrin
RetroX developer
tipclaydon

Postby tipclaydon » Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:23 am

oh thats good to know
Red_Eye1980

Postby Red_Eye1980 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:13 am

I am not a developer so I don't know how hard this is to implement. But below is what i think a ''fair'' suggestion:

I fully understand protecting the software from piracy. But how about we were allowed to nominate, once online with a paid account, a top 6 games/favorites, out of the entire collection. And those 6 games would be available offline?

We can change the 6 games once we log in online again, provided that we have a paid account always.

At the end of the day, tablets/phone storage is more limited compared to most people's android TV boxes. Also, how many different games do you need on a plane journey? I don't think people carry their entire game collection on their phone together with mp3s, pictures/videos taken, apps etc.

Being allowed just 6 games would essentially put the user in trial mode.

Thoughts?
fcatrin
Site Admin

Postby fcatrin » Sun Dec 03, 2017 5:14 pm

That is a good idea, but the implementation is almost finished. You will be able to use RetroX offline for some days, at full except for features that require a network, like cloud saves sync or downloading special configurations for some computer games.
Franco Catrin
RetroX developer
molul

Postby molul » Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:58 pm

That's really cool! If I'm offline, can I save games locally?

OTOH, is there a mailing list I could subscribe to be notified of a new version? :)
fcatrin
Site Admin

Postby fcatrin » Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:59 am

The saves are always stored locally, and RetroX syncs with the server as soon as it can.

There is no mailing list, but RetroX autoupdates itself, so you always know when there is a new release.
Franco Catrin
RetroX developer
molul

Postby molul » Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:29 am

Great :) Thank you!
joeljoel1947

Postby joeljoel1947 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:16 pm

Has this been implemented yet? I didn’t realize the app needed an active connection until I tried using it on an airplane a week ago on my tablet. Woops! Glad I kept retroarch on there so I still had something that worked.
KingPepper50

Postby KingPepper50 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:15 am

joeljoel1947 wrote:Has this been implemented yet? I didn’t realize the app needed an active connection until I tried using it on an airplane a week ago on my tablet. Woops! Glad I kept retroarch on there so I still had something that worked.

Hi joeljoel1947,

No Franco is still working on a anti-piracy method, which is going to work, for us all, but i honestly don't think its possible to stop hackers.
They are just too smart and will find a way around all protection, no matter how good you think it is.
Think about it if games that are released on Steam (PC) are able to be hacked to play without steam then what hope has this programmer.
Sorry to say this Franco, but that's the way it is, you will NOT stop hackers, no matter what you do. :(
deaddisk

Postby deaddisk » Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:30 am

I agree, everything is hackable, it's only a question of time.

Instead of investing a lot of energy here, it's better to think about the honest buyers and to publish more features and emulators.

Return to “Features”