Running RetroX without active connection

Discuss existing features and requests for new features using [REQUEST] in the title
Forum rules
Discussions only around the RetroX application. Links to ROMs or request for them are forbidden. Insisting users will be banned
Fredoias

Re: Running RetroX without active connection

Postby Fredoias » Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:42 pm

Update is only 2 months late. No reason to let the people who bought your product know anything.

As much as I like the product, I bought it thinking it would work offline by the end of September. Then October and now middle of November.

You are falling into the developer habits of the big companies. I understand that things happen, but a little information goes a long way. Especially after the "Wait for Monday" comment above.

Sorry for the rant, but I am upset that I can't use RetroX all of the time and I want to use it all of the time.
fcatrin
Site Admin

Postby fcatrin » Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:35 pm

Sorry guys. Offline is not ready yet, it still have some serious flaws that I will not risk to leave them in a release.
As you may know, there are people that have tried and want to crack it, and I will not give them the opportunity, no matter the deadlines I put for myself.
Franco Catrin
RetroX developer
gnc

Postby gnc » Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:46 am

avalanche wrote:
deaddisk wrote:I think offline Mode is for the most users subordinated, its important, to include first theming and other supported systems to concurrent with other apps that are similar to RetroX. The theming at this moment is confusing and not nice to scroll through many Roms :)

I'm the opposite. I have to do a 2 hour commute each way some days and it basically means I have no wifi connection which means I can't use RetroX at all and if I want to use my GPDXD I have to use a different front end for my games. However that means I can't really save any games to play later on RetroX.

Theming is cool and all but currently I can get by with the current theme. Not being able to use RetroX while commuting kinda kills its usefulness as a handheld app.

I am in agreement here. I really like RetroX, and I purchased it two days before a trip I was taking to places without stable/regular internet access. I figured once everything is winding down each night I could relax for some retro gaming. I was very surprised when I reached my destination that I couldn't use it without being connected.

I ended up learning my way around RetroArch, whose interface definitely isn't as streamlined or polished, but on the other hand I could use it during the month I was away. So now even though I'm back, I've gotten used to using RA instead of RetroX just out of habit, despite having paid.

fcatrin wrote:Sorry guys. Offline is not ready yet, it still have some serious flaws that I will not risk to leave them in a release.
As you may know, there are people that have tried and want to crack it, and I will not give them the opportunity, no matter the deadlines I put for myself.

I'm very new, so I don't know if you do beta type releases. But I'd be happy to give it a whirl if/when a version is available.
Fredoias

Postby Fredoias » Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:58 am

gnc wrote:
avalanche wrote:
deaddisk wrote:I think offline Mode is for the most users subordinated, its important, to include first theming and other supported systems to concurrent with other apps that are similar to RetroX. The theming at this moment is confusing and not nice to scroll through many Roms :)

I'm the opposite. I have to do a 2 hour commute each way some days and it basically means I have no wifi connection which means I can't use RetroX at all and if I want to use my GPDXD I have to use a different front end for my games. However that means I can't really save any games to play later on RetroX.

Theming is cool and all but currently I can get by with the current theme. Not being able to use RetroX while commuting kinda kills its usefulness as a handheld app.

I am in agreement here. I really like RetroX, and I purchased it two days before a trip I was taking to places without stable/regular internet access. I figured once everything is winding down each night I could relax for some retro gaming. I was very surprised when I reached my destination that I couldn't use it without being connected.

I ended up learning my way around RetroArch, whose interface definitely isn't as streamlined or polished, but on the other hand I could use it during the month I was away. So now even though I'm back, I've gotten used to using RA instead of RetroX just out of habit, despite having paid.

fcatrin wrote:Sorry guys. Offline is not ready yet, it still have some serious flaws that I will not risk to leave them in a release.

I'm very new, so I don't know if you do beta type releases. But I'd be happy to give it a whirl if/when a version is available.

I am currently using Retroarch myself. It is a little bit more complicated, but it is free and not confined by an online connection. I wish it looked as nice as RetroX but it works fine for me.
fcatrin
Site Admin

Postby fcatrin » Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:57 am

gnc wrote:I'm very new, so I don't know if you do beta type releases. But I'd be happy to give it a whirl if/when a version is available.

There are development versions that are tested by my friends from RetroMania. Usually they receive a version one or two days before a big release just to check the essentials, so there is no much difference in time between the internal release and the public release.
Franco Catrin
RetroX developer
molul

Postby molul » Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:09 am

Signed up to join the tablet users who could really use an offline mode for travelling. I'd set it to 1 day at least.
benpocalypse

Postby benpocalypse » Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:21 am

Without adding to any of the controversy, I had no idea that RetroX didn't work offline until I was on an flight to Portland. Fired it up, and was caught off guard.

Just wanted to say that I'd love to get a proper offline mode whenever it's ready for prime time. Keep up the good work!

-Ben
molul

Postby molul » Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:42 am

A small question: what difference would it make authenticating every 24h or every 15 days in terms of preventing piracy?

Another approach could be what Steam does: set offline mode. Not sure what this does but I have to set this mode when I go to a place without internet connection.

EDIT: not trying to stress the creator, but if offline mode is available before Christmas, I'm totally paying for this (I'm going out on holidays and it doesn't look like I'll have internet connection) :) The rest of features are not that important, but this one is essential to me. ¡Ánimo, fcatrin! ;)
fcatrin
Site Admin

Postby fcatrin » Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:42 pm

Not much difference in time really, and many people that have talked me about this is because at some point there went to vacation or several days.
Franco Catrin
RetroX developer
tipclaydon

Postby tipclaydon » Sat Dec 02, 2017 3:18 pm

would using mobile data work to allow retrox to run?

Return to “Features”