Running RetroX without active connection

Discuss existing features and requests for new features using [REQUEST] in the title
Forum rules
Discussions only around the RetroX application. Links to ROMs or request for them are forbidden. Insisting users will be banned
molul

Re: Running RetroX without active connection

Postby molul » Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:07 am

Totally agree. It's just true.
Fredoias

Postby Fredoias » Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:11 am

joeljoel1947 wrote:Has this been implemented yet? I didn’t realize the app needed an active connection until I tried using it on an airplane a week ago on my tablet. Woops! Glad I kept retroarch on there so I still had something that worked.

Welcome to my story. I have crappy internet at work so I can't use it without going to the far side of the building and pretty much hang out of a window to try to use it. If you look at the Roadmap page it was supposed to be done by September. Just a little bit past that I am afraid.

I'll have to stop there because the developer's watch dogs will get me. :o :shock:
KingPepper50

Postby KingPepper50 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:28 am

Fredoias wrote:
joeljoel1947 wrote:Has this been implemented yet? I didn’t realize the app needed an active connection until I tried using it on an airplane a week ago on my tablet. Woops! Glad I kept retroarch on there so I still had something that worked.

Welcome to my story. I have crappy internet at work so I can't use it without going to the far side of the building and pretty much hang out of a window to try to use it. If you look at the Roadmap page it was supposed to be done by September. Just a little bit past that I am afraid.

I'll have to stop there because the developer's watch dogs will get me. :o :shock:

Hi Fredoias,

No we will NOT, we are pussy cats, don't worry,
There is a solution for now called a Hotspot, create your own hotspot, by using your phones Tethering and portable hotspot capabilities, turn that on in the settings on your phone, it does use your phone data allowance, but if you have a huge data plan or unlimited, your laughing, then use RetroX and connect to that Hotspot, sorted, as long as you get phone reception, it will work great.
fcatrin
Site Admin

Postby fcatrin » Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:22 pm

I know that everything is hackable of course, the thing is to make it a frustrating process at the level that it is better to pay a few bucks instead of continuing losing time.

I know because I've been at that position several times.
Franco Catrin
RetroX developer
Fredoias

Postby Fredoias » Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:27 pm

KingPepper50 wrote:
Fredoias wrote:

Hi Fredoias,

No we will NOT, we are pussy cats, don't worry,
There is a solution for now called a Hotspot, create your own hotspot, by using your phones Tethering and portable hotspot capabilities, turn that on in the settings on your phone, it does use your phone data allowance, but if you have a huge data plan or unlimited, your laughing, then use RetroX and connect to that Hotspot, sorted, as long as you get phone reception, it will work great.

Not allowed to use work internet, and I must work in one of the 3 areas in the country where Verizon is lousy. At home this is not an issue, but on breaks at work no RetroX. Thanks for trying to help though.

Still waiting patiently for offline mode. Kind of patiently anyways.
banditdude

Postby banditdude » Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:57 pm

Looking through this thread I notice that this "feature" has been seemingly indefinitely delayed. Is there any update to the timeframe of this release? RetroX is great on my Galaxy tab s2, but I work onsite at an lausd school and they block your authentication servers. Constantly using my phone to tether kills my battery. I activated a forum account just so I could inquire any progress into this.
fcatrin
Site Admin

Postby fcatrin » Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:29 pm

No plans to release this yet.
Just use your phone at login, RetroX can run without the connection after that unless it needs to download an emulator.
Franco Catrin
RetroX developer
banditdude

Postby banditdude » Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:17 am

I have to activate the tether every time I launch a game or it will give an error. "There was an unexpected error, please try again later." :cry:

This app is great but the always required connection is something I am realizing is a huge pain, it's holding back the true potential of portable devices running Android. And to make things more difficult you don't use the same folder structure as retroarch for your save states or save files. So when I cannot connect to the internet at all, I cannot just switch to retroarch....
molul

Postby molul » Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:54 am

I just don't use Retrox anymore. I stuck to Retroarch. Worse UI but better user experience overall. The online thing, I'm afraid to insist, is a mistake that will leave this great frontend in the shadows.
Fredoias

Postby Fredoias » Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:55 am

banditdude wrote:I have to activate the tether every time I launch a game or it will give an error. "There was an unexpected error, please try again later." :cry:

This app is great but the always required connection is something I am realizing is a huge pain, it's holding back the true potential of portable devices running Android. And to make things more difficult you don't use the same folder structure as retroarch for your save states or save files. So when I cannot connect to the internet at all, I cannot just switch to retroarch....

Best to just let it go. Life is too short to wait. I have been using a new Kodi frontend called Let's Play. It is a little tougher to set up, but it is free and has no online requirements. It uses Retroarch as the backend as well. The guy is constantly working on it as well.

If I ever can afford to buy a Nvidia Shield, I might revisit as it is pretty much locked to an fixed internet connection.

I really would love for RetroX to get straightened out. The potential is very strong. I just don't have a good feeling about it at this time.

I will give Franco credit, he can take the heat. He could have blocked me by now, but he hasn't.

Time will tell if RetroX becomes great instead of just good.

Just let RetroX go. :cry: At least for now anyways.

Return to “Features”