REQUEST RetroX default android launcher

Discuss existing features and requests for new features using [REQUEST] in the title
Forum rules
Discussions only around the RetroX application. Links to ROMs or request for them are forbidden. Insisting users will be banned
doriann

REQUEST RetroX default android launcher

Postby doriann » Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:04 am

Another suggestion I have, would be to be able to add RetroX as the main launcher of the android. As soon as the android start it would already open the retrox, and node itself RetroX application have the option to shut down the android device. That way I could buy an android box and put it only for games, using the retrox as frontend and launcher.
DoRiAnN DaMoN
Portuguese translator for RetroX
fcatrin
Site Admin

Re: REQUEST RetroX default android launcher

Postby fcatrin » Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:21 am

That would require to build a different binary. As per Android design, apps cannot select that behaviour, it has to be declared in the APK file.
Someone mentioned that there are apps to make that though. Those apps allow to set any other app as a launcher.

This would be great for Frambu as well
Franco Catrin
RetroX developer
steviebwoy

Postby steviebwoy » Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:24 am

I'm pretty sure I saw this in the options menu of a similar front-end recently - either Gamesome or Arc Browser.. :geek:
doriann

Postby doriann » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:47 am

steviebwoy wrote:I'm pretty sure I saw this in the options menu of a similar front-end recently - either Gamesome or Arc Browser.. :geek:

arc browser
DoRiAnN DaMoN
Portuguese translator for RetroX
fcatrin
Site Admin

Postby fcatrin » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:09 pm

It would need to install another app or similar. Once the app is packed in the final APK it cannot opt to be a launcher or not.

May be what they did is that the app is always a launcher, and it is not activated unless the user request it in the Android settings.
Franco Catrin
RetroX developer

Return to “Features”