RetroArch Emulators

Discuss existing features and requests for new features using [REQUEST] in the title
Forum rules
Discussions only around the RetroX application. Links to ROMs or request for them are forbidden. Insisting users will be banned
drhoemmal

RetroArch Emulators

Postby drhoemmal » Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:07 pm

Hi Franco,

I know there are many other things on your roadmap .. but here is my request: there are so many old consoles that are running via retroarch (mame,mess) and I think you make some of your voodoo with retroarch - but there is no where a usable interface for any of those emulators.. like, Odyssey2 ( G0700), Fairchld Channel F , Astrocade, or those Armstrat GX4000, Arcadia 2001, Casio PV-1000, Adventure Vision, Vectrex....

all those are without the need of a virtual keyboard.. they are all running on android (at least I have them on hyperspin/android) but it would be more than great to have them in RetroX, sorted, like all the other system that your retroX is supporting.
fcatrin
Site Admin

Re: RetroArch Emulators

Postby fcatrin » Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:52 am

I like your request, those systems are on the best case scenario!

Now, here is my offer...

Adding systems like these take little time compared to others, but still it adds up to several hours. If you are interested, you can help me with the non technical part which is to create the basic graphical assets and overlays for touchscreen devices.

For the graphical assets, you can use my templates (see below). For overlays I usually modify one already done, it can be the one for the system if it exists or I just modify the snes one to leave only the required buttons. The modification is to remove everything except for the controller buttons for landscape mode.

These are the specs of what I would need for each system:

1) Name of the preferred core for Android (sometimes there is more than one)
2) A cover picture (detailed below)
3) A system logo (detailed below)
4) Touchscreen overlay : landscape, original buttons only

Cover pictures.
This is used when RetroX can't find a cover for the game. It is a 360x480 PNG file with the system logo at the center. The logo cannot be more than 92 pixels height to avoid being cropped by the rectangular view when browsing the games.

The background is a very soft gradient using two colors that are representative of the system. In most cases I have picked up the colors from the original hardware cases.

In the example files (see below) you will find the covers plus the GIMP files with the original layers

System logos
These are transparent white logos, they should match a rectangle no bigger than 300x200 if possible.
What I usually do is to find a transparent version of the logo, then using GIMP I turn the bright and contrast to the max until they go white only,

Example fles
I've put some example files to start with here:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/dgnomdqv42te ... 8Moda?dl=0

Thank in advance if you want to help in this!

Cheers
Franco Catrin
RetroX developer

Return to “Features”