GBA Emulator on Amazon Fire TV Stick Very Slow

Help and support for troubleshooting issues in RetroX
Forum rules
Before posting your questions, please check our official Troubleshooting guide at http://retrox.tv/help
zypheratus

Re: GBA Emulator on Amazon Fire TV Stick Very Slow

Postby zypheratus » Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:27 pm

I installed retroarch 1.7.1 on my Fire TV stick and downloaded the Game Boy Advance mGBA v0.7.0 Core, I tried a couple of games:

Metroid Zero Mission and Zelda Minish cap,Castlevania Aria of Sorrow, Contra 3, Guilty Gear and Mario Kart: Sound is working good and gameplay is smooth and optimal.

It seems mGBA to be the best core (some people say it lacks certain features but can't see which are those things missing), I heard it is one of the most accurate and works pretty damn well on limited hardware like the Fire TV Stick.

I think retrox is using the VBA Next core(also VBA M shows poor performance), I downloaded v1.0.2 and it emulates at a very slow framerate so it seems it's true that this emulator doesn't work well on constrained hardware.
fcatrin
Site Admin

Postby fcatrin » Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:20 pm

You are right, it is the "next" core.
I'll check that other core
Franco Catrin
RetroX developer
Menrock

Postby Menrock » Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:08 pm

I tried playing some gba games and they have a Lot of fps drosp to 30 tried my boy advance demo from play store and runs smooth same games from same folder and same shader hq4x (tried disabling on retrox but problem persist)

I play from moto G4 plus should have enought hardware power to run with good performance.

Please add custom buttons personalization i miss turbo and change some buttons from n64.

Sorry if my answer look i'm blaming or being mad, only know basic english.
zypheratus

Postby zypheratus » Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:52 am

Menrock wrote:I tried playing some gba games and they have a Lot of fps drosp to 30 tried my boy advance demo from play store and runs smooth same games from same folder and same shader hq4x (tried disabling on retrox but problem persist)

I play from moto G4 plus should have enought hardware power to run with good performance.

Please add custom buttons personalization i miss turbo and change some buttons from n64.

Sorry if my answer look i'm blaming or being mad, only know basic english.

Actually the problem is the current gba core being used in retrox (Visual Boy Advance-Next), the core that works great is mgba but it will be a matter of time if it gets the thumbs up from the developer to include it instead of VBA Next. It would be cool if the user could choose the emulator core in retrox that would be awesome.
fcatrin
Site Admin

Postby fcatrin » Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:13 pm

I just added an option in the game details screen to select the core to be used.
If this work as planned, I'll be doing the same for the Sega Genesis based systems.

The Beta version will autoupdate and get this new option
Franco Catrin
RetroX developer
fcatrin
Site Admin

Postby fcatrin » Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:33 pm

Franco Catrin
RetroX developer

Return to “Troubleshooting”