Mame tutorial

Help and support for troubleshooting issues in RetroX
Forum rules
Before posting your questions, please check our official Troubleshooting guide at http://retrox.tv/help
weenswong

Mame tutorial

Postby weenswong » Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:59 pm

Hi there, love the system and didn't have a problem getting most of the systems rom downloads and get them to work but having grat difficulty getting the Mame roms to run. Downloaded all the 16 part files, unpacked them and put them onto sd card then got to the correct directory but wont recognise the roms. Would be helpful if there was a mame tutorial on you tube. As I said I haven't had a problem setting up all the other systems just Mame. Any help much appreciated.
KingPepper50

Re: Mame tutorial

Postby KingPepper50 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:31 pm

weenswong wrote:Hi there, love the system and didn't have a problem getting most of the systems rom downloads and get them to work but having grat difficulty getting the Mame roms to run. Downloaded all the 16 part files, unpacked them and put them onto sd card then got to the correct directory but wont recognise the roms. Would be helpful if there was a mame tutorial on you tube. As I said I haven't had a problem setting up all the other systems just Mame. Any help much appreciated.

Hi weenswong,

Basically, make sure you are doing this to the roms themselves.....................

MAME

MAME games depend directly on the version of the MAME emulator. To make things easier, RetroX use four folders to look for games.

retrox/mame/2001 - MAME 0.37b
retrox/mame/2003 - MAME 0.78
retrox/mame/2010 - MAME 0.139
retrox/mame/2014 - MAME 0.159
Just put the .zip or .7z files in those folders. - DON’T UNCOMPRESS / EXTRACT THEM from there .zip or .7z files

Here are some examples, showing the file structure.

retrox/mame/2001/1942.zip
retrox/mame/2001/commando.zip
retrox/mame/2001/dkong.zip
retrox/mame/2003/area88.zip
retrox/mame/2003/flipshot.zip
retrox/mame/2014/matmania.7z

Hope this helps. 8-)

For the full tutorial concerning Adding games, look here: http://www.retrox.tv/games/
JohhnyDamage

Postby JohhnyDamage » Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:33 pm

This is for RetroPie but the same general rules for ROMS, merging, and etc apply.

https://retropie.org.uk/forum/topic/285 ... help-guide
fcatrin
Site Admin

Postby fcatrin » Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:28 am

The most common problem when running the MAME roms is to know the MAME version to choose from.

If you know the version, let's say 2010. Use this method:

1) Select Add one folder for one system
2) Select MAME
3) Select 2010
4) Select your folder.

And that's all.

Now, if you don't know for what version of MAME is your pack of roms, repeat that same process, then

1) Open any game
2) Try to run it
3) If you only see the "in game options" from RetroX, close it
4) In the game details screen select another MAME version and goto to step 2.

That's all.
Franco Catrin
RetroX developer
DarkGrayson

Postby DarkGrayson » Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:17 am

I'm having issues here also. I have tried various versions of mame rom sets and none are recognized on multiple devices. I have tried them in all folders 2001-2014. I have built a supported mame roms files only mame folder from the list in the mame section seperated by version on the website and it does not work. I have added them to there own folder and tried to add the folder to Retrobox, I have added them in the retrobox folder. I have tried in device memory, emulated sd, and sd and no work. Having major problems with mame. Everything else on all other platforms works great. Even picked up an 8bitdo controller today and it is awesome. Just wished the mame support was a lot smoother and easier. I get you have to use the right version in the right folder with the right emulator, but it seems the rom scanner for mame is not working. Help??
fcatrin
Site Admin

Postby fcatrin » Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:26 pm

The only problem with MAME is that there are several incompatible versions of rom packs. Without RetroX you would need different emulators for each pack, while in RetroX you just select which version you want to use for a complete folder or for the game just before you try to run it.

In your case, I would start from scratch: Remove all MAME folders if you added individually, or move them away if you tried to add them as a RetroX collection (retrox/mame/2001, retrox/mame/2003, etc).

Then use the rescan -> all option to let RetroX know that the games are not available anymore. You must end with no MAME games at this point.

Once clean, just follow my 4 steps guide that I posted above. I'd recommend you to put the games in a folder outside a RetroX collection (not using retrox/mame/) because you don't know which version you are using so the name will be misleading for you.

I would just put the games under a "mame" folder and follow the 4 steps guide.

Here you can see a video that explains the MAME versions issue, at 5:00

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9X0q2HTfks&t=5m0s
Franco Catrin
RetroX developer
natemac00

Postby natemac00 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:33 pm

DarkGrayson wrote:I'm not sure it matters but the folder should be "retrox" not "retrobox"

Note that a folder like that is used only if you want to build a RetroX Collection.

A RetroX Collection is a way to create the folders so RetroX will pick them up automatically without adding each folder/system individually, I created that method to easily migrate one collection from one device to another, but for testing or starting I strongly recommend to add folders individually.

The name now is "retrox" for that folder, but "retrobox" is also supported.

Also if it retrox does not take the new roms, try going into your android setting and clearing cache & data. It's gonna wipe out everything, but if it's not working anyway....

More info at http://retrox.tv/games
Last edited by natemac00 on Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fcatrin
Site Admin

Postby fcatrin » Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:45 pm

Sorry natemac00 :-(

Instead if quoting your post, I edited it, and I don't know how to get your original back.

Anyway, thanks for your help in this case.
Franco Catrin
RetroX developer
natemac00

Postby natemac00 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:53 pm

fcatrin wrote:Sorry natemac00 :-(

Instead if quoting your post, I edited it, and I don't know how to get your original back.

Anyway, thanks for your help in this case.

CENSORSHIP!!!!!
j/king, no worries, the main points are there.
DarkGrayson

Postby DarkGrayson » Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:15 am

Ok. I pulled my mame .139 roms out of the retrox collections folder and put them under their own folder /mame/2010 and then added that folder as a MAME 2010 games folder. My problem is not that the ROM's will not run. It is that RetroX does not see the .zip roms during a scan or force rescan. It sees it as a empty folder. I have tried clearing cache. Uninstalling the .apk. I have this issues on 3 different tablets and 2 different phones. I have even swapped out the .139 ROMS for fresh ones. Nothing works.

Return to “Troubleshooting”