Can't get sega cd games to work.

Help and support for troubleshooting issues in RetroX
Forum rules
Before posting your questions, please check our official Troubleshooting guide at http://retrox.tv/help
PentatonicSteel

Can't get sega cd games to work.

Postby PentatonicSteel » Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:14 pm

So I have been having trouble getting sega cd games to run.
Closest I got was by unzipping a single rom, such as Sonic cd, and separating the iso file from the two (one is an image file).
It would show my cover art and play, but with no musical audio, just action sounds such as jumping or collecting rings etc.
When I try to load from a full zip file, I get nothing, no cover art and no functional game.

Ideas?
fcatrin
Site Admin

Re: Can't get sega cd games to work.

Postby fcatrin » Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:48 am

Probably they use CD-Audio.

* ISO 9660 files don't support CD-Audio, they contain DATA only
* CUE/BIN files support CD-Audio. You need both files. The BIN file contains all the DATA and CD-Audio, and the CUE files is an index to know the layout of the DATA and CD Audio Tracks

It seems that either
a) You have a bad dump where the CD-Audio data was lost. That would be the case of a real ISO 9660 file or
b) You have the BIN file but not the matching CUE file with the disc layout.

Make sure to use CUE/BIN files, or send me a link to check the files that you are trying to play.
Franco Catrin
RetroX developer
PentatonicSteel

Postby PentatonicSteel » Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:51 pm

Thanks for the reply.
I will look into getting the info together and posting possible screens etc.
I am sure it's my own ignorance that is keeping it from working.

I had found a single zip file (rom) in the past, that had contained both the image and the bin. But that wouldn't play from a single file (zipped). Was I supposed to unzip? I thought that maybe by separating the files, it may not work. Should I have both files pertaining to the same game in a single open folder? Or just leave them unzipped and without being in a folder?

The zipped file wouldn't work either fyi, is that possibly due to its name confusing the retro x system?
Such as "Sonic The Hedgehog CD (1993)(Sega)(NTSC)(Jp)(en)[!].zip"

When unzipped it would look something like "Sonic CD".

Links for both resources I am using, and with Sonic CD as an example

https://www.emuparadise.me/Sega_CD_ISOs/Sonic_CD_(U)/64063-download

http://www.planetemu.net/rom/sega-mega- ... ntsc-jp-en

Edit: I noticed that emuparadise provides both the bin and cue, I am extracting them into my sega cd roms folder as seperate unzipped files, hopeful that works.
jwilson56

Postby jwilson56 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:59 pm

I tried that file. I unzipped to its own folder it then added it to a SegaCD folder. I then added that folder to Sega CD on RetroX and it worked with no problems.

whereveryouhaveyourroms/Sega Cd/Sonic CD (U)
PentatonicSteel

Postby PentatonicSteel » Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:07 pm

Thanks, yeah I was able to get them working by downloading from emuparadise, then I extracted to my sega cd folder on my external drive for my nvidia shield. I didn't create subfolders with the rom names though, just the open cue and bin files.
They work, but the cover art only gets recognized for a few titles.
At least they work though, thanks.

Seems a bit of my life was wasted, as I forgot just how terrible sega cd games were ha!
fcatrin
Site Admin

Postby fcatrin » Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:58 pm

I think most of he Sega CD games are regular Sega games with CD-Audio soundtracks haha. The worst thing is that the original FM musics were really good.

Now, about compressed files: RetroX can handle them, but

a) that feature is not tested at full
b) It will require more space and an additional uncompression step before playing, so for large games I wouldn't recommend it at all.

As a side note:

You may ask, why not tested at full. This is a decision that I had to make in the past, I only focused in what I expected most people to use which is mainly 16 bit consoles using zip containers in local drives. If I wanted to test all the cases I had:

* 27 systems
* 4 compression methods (uncompressed, rar, zip, 7zip)
* 5 sources (local, nas, gdrive, dropbox, box)
* 3 type of media files: single, multi disk, multi file (bin/cue)

So I needed to test 27*4*5*3 = 1620 cases. Considering around 15 minutes per case, It required 405 hours of work.. almost 50 days days working 8 hours a day without considering pauses.

Just focusing in the most expected cases ended working really well, after 2 years I haven't had many things to fix in this part of the application.
Franco Catrin
RetroX developer
PentatonicSteel

Postby PentatonicSteel » Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:49 am

Your application is excellent.
Yes I believe the most common to be mame and the classics.
I typically don't bother with anything other than 8-16 bit in the console emulation as a 39 year old "kid" :)

Return to “Troubleshooting”