Not so much trouble shooting , more of a query / question.

Help and support for troubleshooting issues in RetroX
Forum rules
Before posting your questions, please check our official Troubleshooting guide at http://retrox.tv/help
AllanMcD

Not so much trouble shooting , more of a query / question.

Postby AllanMcD » Wed May 31, 2017 5:01 pm

Hi Franco ,

I have asked this before but not for the same reasons .

On the Amazon box if I were to buy a USB adapter with say 4 slots in would the box run and pick up each USB with roms on , the Amazon box says max of 128gb but if I bought an adapter and plugged in 4 x 128gb USB drives splitting the roms across them would it pick up the roms if all plugged in at the same time say USB1 had ps1 only USB2 had dreamcast only then USB3 had mame/n64/snes etc on it could I have them all plugged in and just play any rom I wanted to or would I only be able to use 1 x 128gb usb at a time ? ( previously I asked about the adapter for keyboard and mouse etc ) now I'm running out of space I'm thinking of an adapter and some more 228gb usb sticks ?
What do you think as I'm pretty sure the Amazon box will not run an external hard drive of say 4tb/5tb or would this also work and do you have a tried and tested external hard drive running or ran on Amazon box previously ?
Looking forward to your response , thanks again :D
fcatrin
Site Admin

Re: Not so much trouble shooting , more of a query / question.

Postby fcatrin » Wed May 31, 2017 8:32 pm

I think that the limit of 128 is for a special reason. You should be able to add any storage that you want.

Where did you read about that limit? Can you share a link or shot to see exactly what they meant?
Franco Catrin
RetroX developer
AllanMcD

Postby AllanMcD » Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:40 pm

fcatrin
Site Admin

Postby fcatrin » Wed Jun 07, 2017 3:17 am

It says that it supports larger drives:

"The Fire TV will detect and use drives that are larger than 128GB just fine. I personally connected a 1.5TB drive and have read comments from people who have connected even larger drives"
Franco Catrin
RetroX developer
AllanMcD

Postby AllanMcD » Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:39 pm

Hi Franco ,

Moving forward what drive would you reccomend to run in this then a plug in the wall powered one or one that runs the power from the USB port ?
I know there are different drives out there that run differently and so do you have any links please at what I should be looking to buy 4/5tb that would run on the Amazon box and possibly later I may eventually move to a shield or something better when and if that ever happened.
Some links would be a great help.

Thank you .
fcatrin
Site Admin

Postby fcatrin » Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:02 pm

As I understood, you need to use a powered one if the drive is not a pendrive. Only that you have to turn it off at boot.
Another option is to use a NAS drive and access it through the network.

Or.... you can wait. We are evaluating a private cloud service for the people to store their files fully integrated with RetroX. It will be similar to online games only that users provide their own content. It will require a subscription.
Franco Catrin
RetroX developer
AllanMcD

Postby AllanMcD » Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:04 pm

As I understood, you need to use a powered one if the drive is not a pendrive. Only that you have to turn it off at boot.

* By pen drive do you mean what I already have a 128gb flash USB drive , can you get 4/5tb pen drives ?
**What do you mean turn it off do you mean before I start thevamazon box I need to have it turned off then turn on when Amazon box is on then when finished and turning of Amazon box I should then turn of harddrive after Amazon box is turned off ?

Another option is to use a NAS drive and access it through the network.
*What is a NAS drive is this a make of hardrive ?

Sorry for being so rubbish with all the terminology hope you can help get me understanding all the terms a little better and thank you for your time.
fcatrin
Site Admin

Postby fcatrin » Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:07 am

AllanMcD wrote:By pen drive do you mean what I already have a 128gb flash USB drive , can you get 4/5tb pen drives ?

Yes, USB flash drives. Biggest ones I've seen are of 512GB size

AllanMcD wrote:What do you mean turn it off do you mean before I start thevamazon box I need to have it turned off then turn on when Amazon box is on then when finished and turning of Amazon box I should then turn of harddrive after Amazon box is turned off ?

While the amazon box is booting up, the drive must be disconnected or turned off. If not, the Amazon device will think that it is connected to a computar. That's what the posted article said

AllanMcD wrote:*What is a NAS drive is this a make of hardrive ?

A NAS is like a Hard Drive attached to the network. Think of a WiFi enabled Hard Drive. You can use a consumer NAS device like the western digital ones or homebrew made like the Raspberry Pi based ones

http://retrox.tv/rpinas
Franco Catrin
RetroX developer
AllanMcD

Postby AllanMcD » Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:06 am

Hi Franco,

Going back to my original question that about hard drives,
which would you reccomend as a powered hard drive to plug into Amazon box 4/5tb that I could also use on a better android device such as the shield , for now it's for the Amazon box but would obviously use if I upgraded to shield.

Thanks again .
fcatrin
Site Admin

Postby fcatrin » Fri Jun 09, 2017 4:52 pm

I can't recommend one because I don't use external HD in my devices
May be someone reading this forum could help
Franco Catrin
RetroX developer

Return to “Troubleshooting”