RetroX doesn't see save files

Help and support for troubleshooting issues in RetroX
Forum rules
Before posting your questions, please check our official Troubleshooting guide at http://retrox.tv/help
jsgraphicart

RetroX doesn't see save files

Postby jsgraphicart » Mon Apr 11, 2022 9:33 pm

I've been using RetroX for a while now and I love it. But for a while now, I haven't been able to load any of my saves. My ROMs are saved on an SD card and my saves were automatically placed in my internal storage when they downloaded from the cloud. Not sure if that is the issue but I don't think this was a problem before. I kind of remember this starting when Android 11 was released. I know that came with a bunch of storage issues. I've tried placing the saves on the SD card as well but they still aren't recognized. The games load fine though and I can see the save files in the retrox.data folder. But when I try to load a save that was created in the game or a manual save state I made, nothing is recognized. Is there something I can do to manually point RetroX to that folder for saves if it's not doing so already? Or something else I can maybe try? I'm all out of ideas. Thank you.
fcatrin
Site Admin

Re: RetroX doesn't see save files

Postby fcatrin » Thu May 05, 2022 11:20 pm

RetroX will look for your saves in the location that itself has used to save them.

When you say that they are not visible, is it because they don't appear in the selection screen, or they appear but they don't load? In the latter case, it could be an emulation problem.
Franco Catrin
RetroX developer
jsgraphicart

Postby jsgraphicart » Mon May 23, 2022 10:02 pm

fcatrin wrote:RetroX will look for your saves in the location that itself has used to save them.

When you say that they are not visible, is it because they don't appear in the selection screen, or they appear but they don't load? In the latter case, it could be an emulation problem.

My save folder has both save states as well as save files that were done inside the game. When I launch a game, and try to load a save state, the save state list is empty. Or if I try to load a save in game, it doesn't find any save data. My saves were done on a different device though. When I got a new device, I just moved the RetroX folder from the old device to the new one. I placed the folder in the same location as it was on the old device. Maybe if I start from scratch with the app and save something in game to let it create it's own folder then maybe move my saves over. I will give that a try but if you have any other suggestions, I would appreciate it.

EDIT: I uninstalled the app and deleted any folder related to RetroX. Then installed the app again and it downloaded all the files from my RetroX cloud save which should be my latest saves. If I look in a file explorer, the folders do contain both save states and save files for certain games. But when I launch the game, I still don't get any option to load them. The game acts like a brand new game with no saves.
fcatrin
Site Admin

Postby fcatrin » Sat Jul 09, 2022 9:10 pm

Ok, let's see:

"I just moved the RetroX folder from the old device to the new one. I placed the folder in the same location as it was on the old device"
That may not work, because RetroX probably is looking for your files in another place. RetroX automatically download those saves and create the folders for you, if you don't find them in the same location it is because RetroX is using another location.

I read the update. Let's focus in one game and use that one to check what could be going on.
Take a screenshot of the game details screen of a game that you have saved but cannot see the saves. Then send me that screenshot and your username to check how that game was stored in the saves folder. You can PM me if needed
Franco Catrin
RetroX developer

Return to “Troubleshooting”