RetroX - Offline Play Question(s)

Help and support for troubleshooting issues in RetroX
Forum rules
Before posting your questions, please check our official Troubleshooting guide at http://retrox.tv/help
OneOfaKindDPC

RetroX - Offline Play Question(s)

Postby OneOfaKindDPC » Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:40 pm

Hey all,

First off, let me just say how much I love love love RetroX. As far as I'm concerned it's the best thing to happen to Android. Worth every penny!

I have a GPD XD running LegacyROM (Kit Kat 4.4.4) that I mainly use to play retro games when I'm flying from destination to destination.I was playing in the airport terminal (on wifi) no problems. Once I boarded the plane and we were in the air I decided to play some more retro games, but I couldn't. Whenever I opened RetroX, I would get a message saying "You need to renew this device activation. This requires an internet connection"

Why does the activation expire so quickly? Is this by design? Is there anyway to make the activation expire less quickly? Is there a way that I can play while on the airplane if I do not have access to wifi? I'm not worried about save games or anything like that, just looking for a way to play.

Thanks in advance for any help or tips that could help.

-Danny
fcatrin
Site Admin

Re: RetroX - Offline Play Question(s)

Postby fcatrin » Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:02 pm

Well, RetroX was designed to be used in home TV devices and phones, where there is always an internet connection, but your case is being more and more common. More people are requesting to use the app with no internet connection.

Currently, the code doesn't expire, it is verified each time you start the app, because of the said design.

That design is in a process of change, the code to run RetroX for some time without an internet connection is in the app, but not tested in a way that I feel safe to release it. My major concerns are 1) do not disturb existing users and b) avoid the app to be used offline forever, thus allowing piracy.

Believe me that at this point I want this feature to be released, I want to work in other aspects of the app and this currently something that blocks the advancement.

Some days ago I wrote my plans for the next months, there you can see all that is planned: http://retrox.tv/roadmap

Cheers
Franco Catrin
RetroX developer
avalanche

Postby avalanche » Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:51 am

I'm really looking forward to the offline mode as I have regular commutes on a bus or train where I'm offline for up to 2-3 hours at a time where I like to play my GPDXD. However with RetroX not having an offline mode means I can't use it during commutes which means I have to keep a secondary frontend app + emulators on my GPDXD to play any games. Then the other problem arises is that I can't really play any RPGs or games that require lots of saving because I'll switch back to RetroX when I get home to a wifi connection and won't be able to access any of my saves from the other frontends/emulators.
OneOfaKindDPC

Postby OneOfaKindDPC » Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:55 pm

fcatrin wrote:Well, RetroX was designed to be used in home TV devices and phones, where there is always an internet connection, but your case is being more and more common. More people are requesting to use the app with no internet connection.

Currently, the code doesn't expire, it is verified each time you start the app, because of the said design.

That design is in a process of change, the code to run RetroX for some time without an internet connection is in the app, but not tested in a way that I feel safe to release it. My major concerns are 1) do not disturb existing users and b) avoid the app to be used offline forever, thus allowing piracy.

Believe me that at this point I want this feature to be released, I want to work in other aspects of the app and this currently something that blocks the advancement.

Some days ago I wrote my plans for the next months, there you can see all that is planned: http://retrox.tv/roadmap

Cheers

Thanks for responding. As an android/ios developer, I completely understand we're you're coming from. Piracy feels like a never ending battle. And really I love the idea of being always online because of cloud saves, the add-ons and other cloud services. Sounds like it will be well worth the wait, happy to see it's on your radar.
OneOfaKindDPC

Postby OneOfaKindDPC » Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:15 pm

I was going to send you a private messages to ask a couple more quick questions, but apparently I'm still too new. I hope you don't mind if I post them here. Please delete if not appropriate.

-The Capcom Play Systems (Cp1 - 3), is it even possible to implement these (specifically on android)? I'm assuming this feature does not currently exist (i couldn't find it at least). Has this been requested?

How many devices is it possible to log into before I need to purchase an additional activation code? I have the GPD XD as I already mentioned. But I'm likely going to wipe out my RetroPi and load this up on it instead. I've also recently received an nvidia shield portable that I would like to load this up, and give my girlfriend (fiancee in waiting) the XD. If I need to, I will happily purchase another code and create an account for her.

Thanks again, I appreciate your love and devotion to this project. On top of how great the program is, It makes it worth every penny even more so.

Have a good one,

-Danny
fcatrin
Site Admin

Postby fcatrin » Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:05 pm

OneOfaKindDPC wrote:I was going to send you a private messages to ask a couple more quick questions, but apparently I'm still too new. I hope you don't mind if I post them here. Please delete if not appropriate.

-The Capcom Play Systems (Cp1 - 3), is it even possible to implement these (specifically on android)? I'm assuming this feature does not currently exist (i couldn't find it at least). Has this been requested?

No problem, asking questions in public will always help others!

You can play capcom games using MAME, some systems are better supported using Final Burn Alpha (FBA). Both of course included in RetroX.

OneOfaKindDPC wrote:How many devices is it possible to log into before I need to purchase an additional activation code? I have the GPD XD as I already mentioned. But I'm likely going to wipe out my RetroPi and load this up on it instead. I've also recently received an nvidia shield portable that I would like to load this up, and give my girlfriend (fiancee in waiting) the XD. If I need to, I will happily purchase another code and create an account for her.

Thanks again, I appreciate your love and devotion to this project. On top of how great the program is, It makes it worth every penny even more so.

The limit is for simultaneous devices, so if you are changing one or deleting one, once you reach your limit you will be asked to disable an older one. You can re-enable that older later if you want.

If you still have spare devices, of course your girlfriend can activate one with your account. Now, the accounts are designed to be personal, your list of favorites, last played and other info and settings are stored with the account. They can be shared, but it's best to be used personal.
Franco Catrin
RetroX developer
OneOfaKindDPC

Postby OneOfaKindDPC » Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:15 pm

fcatrin wrote:
OneOfaKindDPC wrote:I was going to send you a private messages to ask a couple more quick questions, but apparently I'm still too new. I hope you don't mind if I post them here. Please delete if not appropriate.

No problem, asking questions in public will always help others!

You can play capcom games using MAME, some systems are better supported using Final Burn Alpha (FBA). Both of course included in RetroX.

OneOfaKindDPC wrote:How many devices is it possible to log into before I need to purchase an additional activation code? I have the GPD XD as I already mentioned. But I'm likely going to wipe out my RetroPi and load this up on it instead. I've also recently received an nvidia shield portable that I would like to load this up, and give my girlfriend (fiancee in waiting) the XD. If I need to, I will happily purchase another code and create an account for her.

The limit is for simultaneous devices, so if you are changing one or deleting one, once you reach your limit you will be asked to disable an older one. You can re-enable that older later if you want.

If you still have spare devices, of course your girlfriend can activate one with your account. Now, the accounts are designed to be personal, your list of favorites, last played and other info and settings are stored with the account. They can be shared, but it's best to be used personal.

That awesome! Thanks so much, I appreciate all the information. Cheers!

Return to “Troubleshooting”