Button mapping for toobin not working

Help and support for troubleshooting issues in RetroX
Forum rules
Before posting your questions, please check our official Troubleshooting guide at http://retrox.tv/help
trk204

Button mapping for toobin not working

Postby trk204 » Tue May 02, 2017 12:36 am

Running toobin rev3 on mame 0.78 with a wired xbox 360 controller and I can't get my little toober to do much :)

I can see in the in game mame menu the controls are mapped to keyboard letters. But if I press a button to try and remap, the input box doesn't accept any of the button presses on the controller.

Is there a keymap.conf override option for mame controls? From the docs it sounds like that's mainly an Atari/Amiga thing. If not, do you have an example mame config?

Thanks!
fcatrin
Site Admin

Re: Button mapping for toobin not working

Postby fcatrin » Tue May 02, 2017 12:46 am

As you suspect, mapping is only available for computers, because those use keyboards.

Consoles are mapped automatically with your controller. Only you have to set up your controller once in Settings -> Gamepad.

Main buttons for MAME are the classical X, Y, A, B buttons. Some games that require 6 buttons use L1 and R1 as the additional buttons. You don''t require more than those. The order of the buttons has been set by the MAME developers.

Note that the ingame menu for MAME should be disabled, I've not disabled it in all the emulators yet. That's because if you mess with those settings, you can easily brake your controls. If that is the case, that config is stored in the retrox.data folder in your device, just look for mame/libretro/nameofthegame/cfg. Delete the cfg folder and try again.
Franco Catrin
RetroX developer
trk204

Postby trk204 » Tue May 02, 2017 1:17 am

My gamepad is working with all the other games I've tried so far. Just toobin I guess by default maps the arcade buttons to keyboard letters and retro doesn't pass anything when hitting any buttons.

Would I have to remap the joystick with a keyboard plugged in to map the correct key presses to buttons on the gamepad? As that would be a little cumbersome going back and forth.
fcatrin
Site Admin

Postby fcatrin » Tue May 02, 2017 3:55 pm

I've just checked and yes, the original developer made it to be played with a keyboard!!

May be an USB keyboard can help in this case.

Captura de pantalla de 2017-05-02 12-51-38.png
Captura de pantalla de 2017-05-02 12-51-38.png (145.53 KiB) Viewed 7178 times
Franco Catrin
RetroX developer
trk204

Postby trk204 » Wed May 03, 2017 5:27 am

How does this get fixed going forward? Will the mame code for toobin get fixed for an upcoming release for these controls? Perhaps the ability to create controller profiles you can map per game? I know in most mame games I have played I would rather swap jump and fire buttons.

I was hoping to maybe find the config file for toobin and compare it to a working game and manually try to remap the controls, but the config structure you provided does not exist for me. in retrox.data the only subdirs I have are savefiles, savestate and screenshots
fcatrin
Site Admin

Postby fcatrin » Wed May 03, 2017 5:39 am

trk204 wrote:How does this get fixed going forward? Will the mame code for toobin get fixed for an upcoming release for these controls? Perhaps the ability to create controller profiles you can map per game? I know in most mame games I have played I would rather swap jump and fire buttons.

Those are the controls defined by the original developers, they assume that you have a keyboard which in Android is not present. I don't know if that could be fixed with a config file, if that is the case, I can make RetroX to download it automatically for that game.

trk204 wrote:I was hoping to maybe find the config file for toobin and compare it to a working game and manually try to remap the controls, but the config structure you provided does not exist for me. in retrox.data the only subdirs I have are savefiles, savestate and screenshots

The config file is created if you open the MAME menu, make a change and save it.

In the screenshot you can see some examples of the cfg folder

Captura de pantalla de 2017-05-03 02-37-40.png
Captura de pantalla de 2017-05-03 02-37-40.png (111.93 KiB) Viewed 7172 times
Franco Catrin
RetroX developer

Return to “Troubleshooting”