This release is called Mr. Guillermo for good reasons. There are several pivotal times in my childhood, one was when my father gave us an Atari 800XL to me and my brother when we where 10 and 12 years old respectively, that started everything! But also in those years Mr. Guillermo, a neighbor, later a friend, got a Sinclair Spectrum for his family, probably one of the few Spectrum machines that arrived to Chile. We were all into computing, each one with his own machine. We were fortunate that Mr. Guillermo discovered the MicroHobby Spanish magazine, and I got to read them all thanks to him. With those magazines I learnt programming, electronics, troubleshooting and of course about the games that were all the rage in Spectrum! It was a huge amount of knowledge that he shared with me, with a great friendship as well.
Mr. Guillermo or Don Guillermo, as we say here, is a current user of RetroX and not having ZX Spectrum emulation was a bit of a debt from my part, until today!
Muchas gracias Don Guillermo!!!
Now some emulation notes:
- This emulator is based on the RetroArch FUSE core, but surprisingly this core had several bugs. The design of the original FUSE emulator is not much appropriate considering how RetroArch works. If you give it a try you will find those problems, like RetroArch becoming unresponsive, being killed by Android or running just too slow.
- I made some changes in that core that fixed many games, but probably there are some cases that may need a different treatment, so in advance I appreciate all the feedback that you can bring to me.
- Apart from memory, the 128K has PSG (AY) sound in some games. Default is 128K, but if your game fails to load, try the 48K mode.
- I set Kemptson joystick as default to make it easier to select the controller in each game. You can change it to cursor which is just a standard keyboard mapping in Spectrum
- For some reason some games don't start or have controller problems. For example, I found that Commando only works with Cursor and not Kempston. Othe games like Abu Simbel don't start, it's like the keyboard is not read correctly.
I hope you enjoy this it!!