[RELEASE] 2.6.26 Forum Requests

Upcoming features ands announcements in general
fcatrin
Site Admin

[RELEASE] 2.6.26 Forum Requests

Postby fcatrin » Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:31 pm

Hello everyone! I've just made an update for RetroX, with some small changes requested in the RetroX forum in the last days.

• Now you can select which emulator RetroX will use for GBA, Sega Genesis/MegaDrive, Sega Master System and Sega CD. Some people told me that GBA ran slow on their Fire Stick devices so this should help. Also some people reported some glitches in the Sega emulator, so now they can choose which is the best suited for them.
  • Now you can select the aspect ratio globally or per game, so you can use full screen for a platform game and the original aspect ratio for a vertical shooter.
  • By default RetroX will hide any additional extension from the game names, so names like "Sonic [!] [JP] (rev.1)" will appear just as simple as "Sonic". Of course, there is an option to disable this feature and use the full name as in the past.
  • The annoying FPS display on N64 was left there by error, now it will appear only if enabled, as it should always have been.

Before you ask: Yes, the next update should be the GameCube one.

References:
* GBA Emulator on Amazon Fire TV Stick Very Slow
* PicoDrive error
* Per game aspect ratio
* Hide filename suffixes

Screenshot_1524590199.png
Screenshot_1524590199.png (158.16 KiB) Viewed 11861 times
Franco Catrin
RetroX developer
Ratbag

Re: [RELEASE] 2.6.26 Forum Requests

Postby Ratbag » Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:26 pm

Wow, thanks. Didn't expect to see aspect ratio option so soon!!!

However, new version won't install. It downloads then says application not installed. It tries to download update each time I restart, and each time it fails.

EDIT: don't know what happened there, but it just finally updated OK!
zypheratus

Postby zypheratus » Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:07 pm

this is fantastic news!, I just can't wait to try it out the new features. Thanks for listening to some of the issues and providing alternatives to work around those limitations.
avalanche

Postby avalanche » Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:59 am

fcatrin wrote:
Before you ask: Yes, the next update should be the GameCube one.

Yes! Hopefully we can get Wii Dolphin running on RetroX in the future also as the standalone Dolphin emulator runs some Wii titles on the Nvidia Shield
robj80

Postby robj80 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:22 pm

So far the update seems pretty good. I like the hint about the upcoming emulator! Shall I start loading roms now or is this still a ways off?
zypheratus

Postby zypheratus » Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:51 pm

I just tried the new feature and it is pretty cool, I just noticed the cores are a bit outdated (and many optimizations have been done) because I made parallel tests with retroarch using the latest cores for mGBA and Visual Boy Advance-Next and got better compatibility using retroarch than RetroX. I know testing on a low powered device like the firestick does not represent most users of RetroX but it is a good starting point to see how optimized is a specific core.
fcatrin
Site Admin

Postby fcatrin » Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:29 pm

Can you confirm that? VBA is not updated, but mGBA is, I took it from the latest version in github for that core.
Franco Catrin
RetroX developer
Fredoias

Postby Fredoias » Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:39 am

How about an option to force different aspect ratios other than stretch or original? 4.3 or 16.9.
fcatrin
Site Admin

Postby fcatrin » Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:46 pm

Original is not always 4:3, because SNES are squared, PSP rectangular, and MAME have all sorts of aspect ratios.

I'm open to ideas, can you give some example use cases?
Franco Catrin
RetroX developer
Fredoias

Postby Fredoias » Sat Apr 28, 2018 8:54 pm

fcatrin wrote:Original is not always 4:3, because SNES are squared, PSP rectangular, and MAME have all sorts of aspect ratios.

I'm open to ideas, can you give some example use cases?

I know that for example SNES is square, but my device screen is 4.3. Just an option to force a fixed resolution besides stretch using the most common ratios 4.3, 16.9, or 16.10.

Retroarch will let you select ratio from in game.

Return to “News and Announcements”