Running RetroX without active connection

Discuss existing features and requests for new features using [REQUEST] in the title
Forum rules
Discussions only around the RetroX application. Links to ROMs or request for them are forbidden. Insisting users will be banned
fcatrin
Site Admin

Re: Running RetroX without active connection

Postby fcatrin » Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:27 pm

Thanks for understanding.

Offline is not coming soon. If you have other (free) options that are best suited for you, there is no point in waiting for me, neither for me to worry about it.

If I decide to release that feature at some point I'll let you know in this same post.
Franco Catrin
RetroX developer
jwilson56

Postby jwilson56 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:20 am

Kind of a bummer. I take long car trips and it would be nice to have the off line option available. Maybe at least have a way to verify in the morning and as long as the tablet has not been powered down it would allow you to use it for Retrox when you get into an area that has not WIFI available., For right now I am looking at tethering it to my phone and see how that works out.
molul

Postby molul » Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:32 am

Here's another user recommending a normal offline mode. I purchased Retrox because of the promise to make an offiine mode. I stopped using it long ago, and it will be difficult to recommend it after this :(
MarkLaw

Postby MarkLaw » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:49 pm

Use your phone as a hotspot for initial signin and your sorted.

Gotta agree with Franco here in regards to offline, if companies like Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo with there billions can’t protect there assets you can’t expect one man to put years of his time and his living at risk without being 1000% confident.

More emus and features, offline later.
molul

Postby molul » Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:01 pm

Sony, Nintendo and Microsoft didn't promise offline modes (with people buying their products counting on that promise), and later announced it was cancelled. Just saying.

Don't want to offend anyone, but that's what really bugs me. I guess I should have waited until the offline mode was ready, and then buy it. This feels a bit like a scam, honestly.
Fredoias

Postby Fredoias » Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:22 pm

molul wrote:Sony, Nintendo and Microsoft didn't promise offline modes (with people buying their products counting on that promise), and later announced it was cancelled. Just saying.

Don't want to offend anyone, but that's what really bugs me. I guess I should have waited until the offline mode was ready, and then buy it. This feels a bit like a scam, honestly.

Sorry Molul,

You are not going to win this one. You can go back through the posts and see the broken commitments. However you are not alone in this. I am also a corner case, who bought RetroX in good faith that an offline mode was right around the corner.

Bad news, it is not happening. At least any time soon, any way.

So I make sure to let others who are considering buying RetroX know the deal up front. There is no offline mode and as far as I can tell, there probably will not be ever.

So any time I see someone inquiring about it. I try to save them the disappointment of broken promises.

All the guys kissing up, don't have to deal with a broken product when their internet is down.

Sorry, we just aren't going to win.
molul

Postby molul » Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:58 am

Fredoias: whenever I voice my opinion in an internet forum, my goal is never to "win" anything. I just want to say what I think, justify it with facts perhaps, or at least add some reasoning. That's it ;)
Fredoias

Postby Fredoias » Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:55 pm

molul wrote:Fredoias: whenever I voice my opinion in an internet forum, my goal is never to "win" anything. I just want to say what I think, justify it with facts perhaps, or at least add some reasoning. That's it ;)

I started off in that mindset, but after a while I admit that I got bitter. I am finally past that, but I will continue to be a concerned consumer. I bought RetroX with the same impression as you, thinking that offline mode was right around the corner.

After months of waiting, I finally have come to realize that all I can do is inform others about the crippling need to be online to use the software. It just cannot be used at all and that is why I am so disappointed.

OK, so win is not the right term I suppose. But it sure feels like I lost on this. ;)
molul

Postby molul » Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:46 pm

Hahaha. Sorry if I was rude. You know, I'm a bit tired of the typical "forum wars" and I think I misinterpreted your post as a starting one. My apologies :)
Fredoias

Postby Fredoias » Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:05 pm

molul wrote:Hahaha. Sorry if I was rude. You know, I'm a bit tired of the typical "forum wars" and I think I misinterpreted your post as a starting one. My apologies :)

No offense was taken from your post. I knew that I was not the only one disappointed with the decision to cancel the offline mode. It was just nice to have another person stating it as well as myself.

Have a great day.

Return to “Features”