Save uploads hang on exit - fault or just slow?

Help and support for troubleshooting issues in RetroX
Forum rules
Before posting your questions, please check our official Troubleshooting guide at http://retrox.tv/help
Faceman

Save uploads hang on exit - fault or just slow?

Postby Faceman » Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:39 pm

I'm having issues with exiting Retrox (on Nvidia Shield TV 2017) after a session, it is probably due to my abysmal upload speeds (usually under 30kbyte/s)

The application shows the spinning icon in the top right of the screen, but without a progress bar I don't know when it is working and when it has hung.

Sometimes it appears to hang, I give it a few minutes then just force quit as i run out of time, resulting in no saves uploaded or corrupted files.
I then have to manually sync my saves with the Shield and my phone as the versions uploaded to the Retrox server are out of date or broken.

Thankfully Retrox seems to realize the local saves are more recent than the cloud saves and doesn't attempt to download them, but a progress bar or perhaps way to only upload/sync on request would be super helpful to those of us with poor internet.

Many applications are fine uploading in the background on a phone, but the shield TV seems to limit that sort of activity greatly, whereas on the phone I can just switch to another app and the upload runs in the background happily.

I don't know if there is a fault here, or if it is just a very slow process that I need to leave for 15 minutes before I can switch to another application.
robj80

Re: Save uploads hang on exit - fault or just slow?

Postby robj80 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:08 pm

This happens to me too on my phone as well as on my shield with a wired connection. I usually wait a bit then shut the program down. My saves always seem to work but it is very annoying.
Ratbag

Postby Ratbag » Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:03 am

I get the spinning icon quite often too, but I thought the app might be trying to phone home to verify and authenticate as well as accessing saves.
fcatrin
Site Admin

Postby fcatrin » Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:53 pm

The upload happens in the background, the spinning circle is not for uploads.

The spinning circle is shown when the app is trying to download the game details info. Users should not see the circle spinning, it is there only if the connection is too slow (more than 2 seconds for a request that takes less than 100 milliseconds).

The circle is used because there is no progress to show, it's just one call that downloads less than 1KB of data.

Also, all saves are done locally first, then RetroX find the new files and start the upload while you are playing. In some cases, if there is a crash and the app didn't finished the uploads, you will see a progress bar when RetroX starts and you will see a message about "uploading saves and memory cards".

If the upload gets corrupted, most probably the original file is corrupted in your drive. You can check it out exploring the retrox.data folder. If that is the case, make sure that you are using a reliable storage.
Franco Catrin
RetroX developer
Faceman

Postby Faceman » Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:38 am

Hmm, that's interesting.

My local saves weren't corrupt, only the cloud saves.

I occasionally have to manually copy my Shield saves over to my Note9, but my Note 9 saves go to the cloud perfectly and sync with the Shield fine.

The games are stored on my home server, but all saves are set up to local storage.
I'll try moving a few things around and see if it still happens on a faster connection.
fcatrin
Site Admin

Postby fcatrin » Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:47 pm

Have you seen the progress bar at the start of the app telling that it is uploading saves? I'm thinking about partially uploaded saves. The current code handles that case but may be I'm missing something if your local saves are right and the uploaded ones got broken.
Franco Catrin
RetroX developer

Return to “Troubleshooting”