Genesis Button mappings?

Help and support for troubleshooting issues in RetroX
Forum rules
Before posting your questions, please check our official Troubleshooting guide at http://retrox.tv/help
EvilEngine9

Genesis Button mappings?

Postby EvilEngine9 » Sat Feb 16, 2019 6:42 am

I have a PowerA MOGA Hero Power. Games that require 6 buttons (ex: Super Street Fighter) has weird mappings. Pretty much makes Genesis games unplayable. I used to play the real Genesis with a ASCII Pad SG-6. So, I'm used to the SNES like setup. Is there anyway to map specific buttons to my controller? I'm using a Firestick 4k.
Ratbag

Re: Genesis Button mappings?

Postby Ratbag » Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:44 pm

You should be able to remap under gamepad settings.
EvilEngine9

Postby EvilEngine9 » Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:03 pm

Those are only generic mapping for every system. Not really tailored to Genesis/MD.
cryptic_crusader

Postby cryptic_crusader » Tue Mar 05, 2019 4:05 pm

I also want to see this eventually. I added a feature that relates to this.

http://forums.retrox.tv/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1310

1. There is no "per platform" gamepad configuration. everything assumes you are using a ps3 style gamepad.
2. There is no formal way to assign players. Each gamepad added to the root settings deafult (in order) p1, p2, p3 p4 etc).
robj80

Postby robj80 » Tue Mar 05, 2019 4:18 pm

I use a Nvidia shield. I can pair up to 4 game controllers to my system at once. With multiple controllers paired they will all work and control my shield and they will all work in retrox navigating the menu. But once the game starts the controller paired as 1 is player one and controller paired as 2 is player two. I wish we can just have it setup to whatever controller we start the game with is player 1 then if you hit start on another controller while the game is running it becomes player 2.

For example I want to play a genesis game I take my genesis style controller and start the game and I'm off and playing. I exit the game and decide I want to play an snes game I would just grab my snes style controller and start the game and I'm off and playing.
cryptic_crusader

Postby cryptic_crusader » Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:13 pm

Bear with me.

A recommended fix to this mapping issue is to allow for multiple buttons to be mapped to the same input. (I hope it's possible).

This will avoid having multiple controller configuration screens in-app.

The default behavior for the 8bitdo Genesis M30 is a bit weird since there aren't actual L2 and R2 buttons:

Z (button) = L1 (input)
C (button) = R1 (input)

L1 (button) = L2 (input but with no L2 button)
R1 (button) = R2 (input but with no R2 button )

If we could have two buttons simultaneously trigger the same input then there wouldn't be any issues switching between SNES and Genesis because the buttons would be assigned correctly. You can even add an option to turn off Z + C in SNES mode or L1 & R1 in Genesis mode honestly so you don't accidentally press buttons that wouldn't conventionally use otherwise.

Return to “Troubleshooting”